1. I didn’t meet Prince, but it was a fabulous concert, and my sister Erin can vouch for the fact that he did smile at me. I smiled back. It might be that our relationship doesn’t really blossom into anything more than that.
2. I did bring home a handful of the purple confetti that fell during Purple Rain.
3. No. I don’t think that’s dorky.
4. I have no mittens. I’ve been wearing these beautiful Latvian ones for years and one of them is finally no more. I could make myself a beautiful pair to replace the ones that are gone, or I could knock off a quick and dirty pair, turn my attention to the Christmas knitting and come back to the mitten dilemma after the 25th. I can’t decide.
5. Yesterday I cleaned the whole house, almost top to bottom. (I still have my office to do.) When I say I cleaned it, I don’t mean that I dusted and vacuumed. I mean that I pulled furniture out from the walls, scrubbed floors and baseboards, flipped mattresses, pulled out 4 garbage bags of old clothes and toys and sent them to Goodwill – put the dress-up clothes safely away in the basement… washed duvets… pulled books I don’t love anymore off the shelves and send them to the shop on the corner…
I did a deep, fulfilling sort of cleaning. I mean to do this every year at the beginning of the winter season, since it’s such a crazy and busy time, and everyone is going to be trapped in this house until May- but I never get to it.
This year I did, and I can already tell that it was worth it. (Joe got home from California last night and didn’t really notice. I’m working on forgiving him.)
6. Today I think I’m going to finish Fernfrost.
I’ve thought I was done every day for 4 days, but then every day I decided not to skimp and add another repeat. Today is looking good though.
7. If I can bring myself to do it, today I’m going to start the Christmas shopping. I have this crazy idea where if I actually do a little at a time, maybe it won’t be so painful. Still, starting now seems rash. It’s like admitting that it’s really happening, which it is, so maybe that’s best. I don’t know. This time of year really throws me off.
8. Maybe I’ll just make mittens.