October 11, 2006

One row handspun scarf

( If you're not a spinner and you don't want to be and you don't want to wade through this, the recipe for the scarf is at the end.)

I'm sure that this is a subtle element of my personality and that nobody has really noticed, so I'll point out to you that I may be just a smidge on the obsessive side. This wee quirk occasionally pays off, and my fixation over the last 24 hours with the Grafton Fiber batt has totally encouraged this trait. I loved the progression of colours, and I was determined to have a project at the end of it that reflected that.

This can be sort of tricky with spinning. How you pull something off the batt, whether you spin woollen or worsted, pre-draft or not...they all effect the result you get, with occasionally unpredictable results. (I actually have to credit Deb Menz with helping me to figure this out. Her book Color in Spinning really helped me learn how I could spin to get what I want, instead of spinning the way I like to and learning how to enjoy the element of surprise. I recommend it.) It totally worked. I took strips off the batt, working from one side to the other, spun singles 1/3 the grist of the final yarn (or what I thought would be the grist of the final yarn), navajo plied it as one continuous yarn, and knit.
Batt:

Rovingunfoldgr11-1

Yarn:

Ballof-Graftonyrn11-1

Scarf:

Gfribscarf12

(I feel so clever I can hardly stand it.) It totally worked, and I couldn't be more thrilled with the end product. Wanna make one?

Scarfribgf12

Yarn: About 12 wraps per inch, or roughly a worsted weight.
Needles: 5mm
Gauge: I got 20 stitches to 10cm in pattern.
Size: Mine is about 13cm (5 inches) wide, and about 135cm (53 inches) long. That's pretty little, but it's enough to go round my neck, knot in the front and tuck into my coat. If I had more yarn I would have gone on for another 15-20cms (6-8 inches).

Start: Cast on 26 stitches (to make it wider or narrower add or remove stitches in groups of 4 )

Row 1: *knit 2, knit into the back of the next stitch, purl 1. Repeat from * till there are 2 stitches left. Knit 2.

Repeat that one row every row until you can stand it no longer, your scarf is long enough or you run out of yarn, whatever comes first.

Gribgfscco12

Cast off.

This pattern is quick, easy, has only one row to learn, is reversible, looks good in any gauge, is easy to make wider or narrower (making it awesome for handspun) and looks (I believe) fabulous.

Final step?

Ribscarfspgf12-1

Put it on, note how nicely it goes with your fall coat and go walk around Bloor West Village (or some neighbourhood near you if you don't live here) pretending to buy vegetables while waiting for someone to ask you where you bought your scarf.
Gloat. (Nicely)

Posted by Stephanie at October 11, 2006 06:52 PM
Comments

Brilliant scarf. I love batts that you just want to keep looking like the original batt, and that you just want to roll all around in, but that would make a less than useful ball of felt. And those are a bit less fashionable than scarves, I think.

Posted by: Jenny at October 12, 2006 01:08 PM

Marvelous! I particularly like the progression from batt to yarn to scarf -- the colors match! Very impressive.

Posted by: Sarah at October 12, 2006 01:11 PM

You finished the scarf ALREADY?

Excuse me one moment, I just have to finish gawping awestruck at that, before I can collect myself enough to start gawping awestruck at how lovely the fibre and the finished scarf are.

Posted by: Reed at October 12, 2006 01:11 PM

Beautiful scarf! Although I'm not a spinner, my meager attempts have led me to appreciate anyone who can make handspun work as well as you! Thanks for the pattern - I can see some quick Christmas gifts in my future...

Posted by: Emily at October 12, 2006 01:11 PM

Oh, looks kinda like Noro, only better and more special! I love it....someday when I finally have my wheel....

(Meantime, that looks like a great stitch pattern for a Moebius....hmmm....)

Posted by: Alyson at October 12, 2006 01:12 PM

I love the pics of the yarn wound up and finished scarf wound up to match! Lovely!!

Thank you for the pattern!! Too Easy!!

Posted by: MJ at October 12, 2006 01:13 PM

Too gorgeous. I'm going to break out my wheel when I get home and plunder the fiber stash. I love the pattern! After all my practice spinning, it's maybe time to actually make something.

Posted by: Kristin at October 12, 2006 01:15 PM

Yum. You're making me want to learn to spin. Don't suppose I could convince you to take a little trip across the pond to teach me, could I? :-) The scarf is great, but you need to smile for the camera!

Posted by: Steph Bolinger at October 12, 2006 01:16 PM

You have no inspired me to go get my poor spindle out of the closet and finish that bag of blue and black roving. It turned out so lovely!

Posted by: Leah at October 12, 2006 01:17 PM

Good scarf. Good pattern. Good job. :) I especially approve of the physical exercise at the end of the pattern. I haven't been doing that nearly enough but if it were included in my patterns I probably would. Well maybe. I'm not very good at following patterns...

Posted by: emmajane at October 12, 2006 01:20 PM

Oh yum... Very yum! And thanks for putting the pattern stich up. I now have my mindless scarf knitting for xmas!

Posted by: Danny Ouellette at October 12, 2006 01:21 PM

I cannot find Grafton Fiber batts for sale anywhere online. I want to spin one. Badly - like if I had to choose between eating and spinning one of those batts, I would spin the batt. Particularly a colorway I was that was the perfect sunset. Yellowy into Orangey into Reddish into Fuchsia into Purple.

The closest fiber festival to me is the one in Boerne next month that I'm pretty sure will not have Grafton Fibers there. Please help! :(

Posted by: Amy at October 12, 2006 01:25 PM

Awesome. It's a gorgeous scarf, and I love the photo of you, looking very je ne sais quoi.

Posted by: Teri S. at October 12, 2006 01:30 PM

Holy Carp!

That's so pretty. I love those colors. I just want to lick them.

That's a good thing. ;)

Posted by: Kelly at October 12, 2006 01:32 PM

Stephanie, that's gorgeous, and look at you in it! I have GOT to get back to my spinning wheel, I've got a blue silk and merino roving just begging for its time spinning. Thank you for the inspiration!

Posted by: AlisonH with server down for hopefully only one more day at October 12, 2006 01:33 PM

I can't even tell you how much I want to buy a batt from Grafton fibers and do exactly what you did. I LOVE IT!

And, I just bought myself a starter wheel too...so I really COULD do it. ::drooling::

Posted by: The Queen of the Snow Cows at October 12, 2006 01:33 PM

Having had my wheel only a week, and my first lesson under my belt yesterday, I found your spinning posts to be inspiring! I came away from my lesson quite frustrated, but I am confident that someday I will spin something that looks like yarn. I can only hope to make yarn as beautiful as what you spun this week. So very lovely.... and you know you've got us all coveting those batts now...you're safe...there won't be any left for you....(or was that your plan?)

Posted by: Trish at October 12, 2006 01:36 PM

It is gorgeous, the colours are fantastic, everyone should have a new autumn scarf to show off.

Posted by: yvette at October 12, 2006 01:40 PM

Very cute scarf. It looks good on you too.

So I would have to do that *K2, K1 in front loop, P1* repeat * to * to last 2, K2. Must try and see how it works.

Posted by: Dorothy B at October 12, 2006 01:41 PM

Gorgeous colours for you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who will wear handknits conspicuously and wait for someone to notice. I hate it when no one does.

Posted by: miss ewe at October 12, 2006 01:43 PM

Absolutely lovely! And thanks for the lesson in furthering my own obsessive tendencies. Like I needed that! :)

Posted by: pattiblaine at October 12, 2006 01:44 PM

While I was looking at your scarf a car drove by my window and I glanced outside then back to the screen then I did a double take. You may be pleased to know that your batt, your yarn, your scarf, and a hillside covered in autumn trees in the Okanagan all match perfectly. You should feel very clever indeed.

Posted by: Leone at October 12, 2006 01:46 PM

Beautiful colors and a nice pattern that really shows the yarn off. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm knitting a scarf for someone. Mmmm color.

Posted by: Janis at October 12, 2006 01:49 PM

Beautiful scarf, beautifully executed, and wonderfully chronicled. A proud day indeed.

Posted by: suzanne at October 12, 2006 01:49 PM

I'd love to make that scarf... too bad I don't have the yarn or the spinning skills to make it. Gee, I wonder who does... hmmm...

It's really beautiful, I just need to find some equally lovely yarn to make it gorgeous.

Posted by: Alexis at October 12, 2006 01:49 PM