May 14, 2007

Lessons from the Hankster.

My nephew Hank is seven now and spent the weekend here, and there is no end to the things he taught me during that time.

1. I had been under the impression that the most painful thing a mother can step on (after careful research and years of experience) was a four-hole square lego piece. I was wrong.

Stwrsguys1405

The smallest of these "Star Wars Fighting Guys" hurts so much to step on that you don't even feel the emotional pain of your nephew screaming "don't hurt my guys!" while you slowly extract an extremely small lightsaber from the fleshy part of your instep.

2. All finished sweater photo shoots should be managed, art directed and photographed by seven year old boys. When I finished Juno this weekend Hank offered to take pictures of it for me.
Here's a close up of the button band.

Buttonjuno1405

Hank said I chose good buttons. I am more pleased with the fabulous picking up of stitches. I've never had it go better.
Then we did some modelled shots. It took the Hankster a couple to work out how to get me all in....

Junonotall1405

Then Hank decided that the shoot needed to be more dynamic.
He suggested I be "LOWER"

Lowerjuno1405

He suggested I be "RUNNING"

Berunnign1405

He suggested I be "SCARY"

Bescary1405

and this one, in which I was directed to "TRY AND BE PRETTY"

Notbadone1405-1

(Photo shoots with seven year olds are not for those with low self esteem.)

Details: Juno, from Rowan #40. Yarn: Rowan Scottish Tweed Aran in "storm grey 004" from Magpie Yarns in Lexington Kentucky, held single, 5 balls to make the third size. (I have a 37 inch chest, but wanted only a very little negative ease.) I modified the sweater to make it a little higher in the front, a la Vanessa.

3. When I was taking this picture, to demonstrate exactly how much yarn I had left over when I was done the sweater (such a close finish. I was beside myself.) Hank asked me what I was doing.

Allthatwasleft1405

"Taking a picture to show that I only have a little yarn left".
Hank looked at me like I had three heads, glanced around the living room (where there may be some other sorts of yarn lying around) and then said....
"So....you're lying to these people?"

Clarity is everything. In the interest of honesty, Hank insists that I tell you that while there is only a little bit of THAT yarn left, there is some other yarn in the house, and even some other grey yarn.

4. Seven year olds learn how to do Dance Dance Revolution much, much faster than 38 year olds.

Hankddrrev1405

I was unprepared for two things here. Firstly, the absolutely crushing defeat I was dealt by those two wee feet and secondly, the very real pain I felt when Hank didn't know who David Bowie was and said that he looked sort of "Stupid".
(Am I the only one having a hard time trying to explain the 80's to the next generation?)

5. There is no charm greater than a seven year old buying flowers for his mum.

Hanksflowers1405

Which would totally explain how he got the money out of me.

Posted by Stephanie at May 14, 2007 10:46 AM
Comments

Absolutely fantasic sweater and nephew!

Posted by: gayle at May 14, 2007 10:53 AM

Ow.
Beautiful beautiful sweater, and model.
He is the CUTEST.
And I am still trying to explain the 80s to myself, and I lived through them, old enough to participate fully. Oy.

Posted by: Carrie at May 14, 2007 10:53 AM

OMG, and the "lying" bit? That kid is a gem.

Posted by: Carrie at May 14, 2007 10:54 AM

Am I really the first person here? I thought of you this weekend as I personally sanded my kitchen floor without starting a fire, even though there were some sparks flying! got to stain at 5 am so I could poly last night! Great sweater!

Posted by: jUDY t at May 14, 2007 10:55 AM

Great job on the photo shoot, Hank!

I made a comment to my cousin (23) the other day about an e-ticket ride at Disneyland. Then I asked her if she knew what an e-ticket was. I was promptly informed that I was crazy. Of COURSE she knew what an e-ticket ride is. They just installed them a couple of years ago. ELECTRONIC tickets...DUH!

Ouch.

Posted by: Lynda The Guppy at May 14, 2007 10:55 AM

(Part II)

And FABULOUS job on the sweater! It looks great on you!

Posted by: Lynda The Guppy (again) at May 14, 2007 10:57 AM

Once in a while seven year old boys can be fun. And buying flowers is one of those times.
Love the sweater, your photo shoot was a big success!!
And yes, dance dancd dance should not be tried with anyone more then 20 years younger then you. I'm 55 and my 30 year old can beat me too!

Posted by: alice at May 14, 2007 11:00 AM

Ouch, gorgeous and hilarious - in that order!

Posted by: Jeannette at May 14, 2007 11:00 AM

As the mother of a 7 year old...um...YUP! You pretty much covered it, right down to their downright punishing literal view of things, lol.
The sweater is GORGEOUS! Total masterpiece. And the amount of left-over yarn makes it seem all the more dangerous. Masterful. This one is definitely going down in the "Best of" annals!

Posted by: runswithscissors at May 14, 2007 11:01 AM

Good luck explaining the 80s to anyone who wasn't there.

Love the yarn/lying story! Wow, did you ever cut that close: well done!

Posted by: ccr in MA at May 14, 2007 11:03 AM

Juno looks great! :) Hank is adorable; very sweet of him to make sure you're not lying to us :)

Posted by: Terrie at May 14, 2007 11:03 AM

Of course a 7 year old can beat you at Dance Dance Revolution. He has shorter legs and doesn't have to move them as far. Fortunately knowing who David Bowie is is not a life skill requirement--only frosting.

Beautiful work on Juno. And yes you are beautiful! (Say thank you)

Posted by: Duffy at May 14, 2007 11:06 AM

Wow...and here I thought it was a small firetruck that hurt when you stepped on it...lol. Makes you appreciate the clear floor, eh?

Posted by: Melody at May 14, 2007 11:08 AM

That is wonderful! I especially liked the "lying" bit *LOL*

The photo shoot was neat too . . .

Happy belated mother's day!

Posted by: Sarah at May 14, 2007 11:08 AM

7 year olds humble me. Just wait, pretty soon Hank (what a great man-knitter name!) will be buying you mismatched skeins of yarn and insisting you make him something fabulous... I know this from experience. :)

Posted by: telizas at May 14, 2007 11:09 AM

He's great! And a very good photographer! He's also very lucky to have sucha talented and pretty aunt!

Posted by: Sandy at May 14, 2007 11:10 AM

I <3 Hank!

Is he no longer fascinated by the ball winder? Is this a good thing? ;)

Posted by: Jenn at May 14, 2007 11:11 AM

Yes there is always a lego, or a lego creation to be stepped on.
In fact, putting the laundry up today, I stepped on a Bionicle mask.
Ouch wasn't the word used, but you get the picture.
And that he thought you were lying about only having that much yarn left, that's just too funny.

Posted by: Micky at May 14, 2007 11:12 AM

I think that the best photo shoot I've ever seen! I especially enjoy the "be scary" one =) The sweater is beautiful and your nephew made me almost snort tea out of my nose!

Posted by: Kim at May 14, 2007 11:13 AM

An excellent photo shoot. I think my pro photographer boyfriend would be impressed. He is hiring an intern. Think Hank would be interested?

Posted by: Peggy at May 14, 2007 11:14 AM

The sweater turned out great. Happy Mother's Day!

Posted by: ck at May 14, 2007 11:14 AM

Great sweater and even greater nephew. He's a cutie! I love kids that age, they have such a funny yet accurate outlook on life.

The 80's. I was horrified when a radio station called the music 'oldies'. Then *shudders* I was showing photos to some teenagers, and they looked at me in pity and asked if I really wore those clothes outside the house! And I didn't even show them the pink hair picture . . .

Posted by: Shel at May 14, 2007 11:16 AM

you do look wonderful in that gorgeous sweater - oh, and scary, and speedy, and..... well, you know what I mean. Your nephew is way tooo cute too!

Posted by: KathyN at May 14, 2007 11:16 AM

Beautiful sweater!!! Beautiful nephew!!!

Posted by: Kimber at May 14, 2007 11:17 AM

The sweater looks wonderful (I think the "scary" picture is my favorite lol) on you! 7 year olds are great aren't they? I made the mistake of reading the "so...your lying to these people" while drinking water. I laughed so hard (ok, after I stopped choking-haha) kids are the best.

Posted by: Alexis at May 14, 2007 11:19 AM

Wow, great sweater! And I LOVE the photo shoot! You're a natural!

Posted by: janelle at May 14, 2007 11:20 AM

Awww...that flower shot is priceless and the sweater turned out gorgeous!

Matchbox cars have some ferociously sharp pointy things on them, too. My four-year-old has learned some "creative" vocabulary as a result.

Posted by: KittyMommy at May 14, 2007 11:20 AM

That is one cute nephew, one fabulous sweater and one great scary pose!! As others say, you look beautiful in all of the poses!! I can't believe you have finished a complete sweater, and a photo shoot, while stepping on Star WArs figures, recovering from a cold and travel, etc., etc. I'm still working on the shawl I started in 2002--well, I've made other things since then....

Posted by: gail at May 14, 2007 11:22 AM

The sweater is beautiful! And your nephew is totally hilarious to me. I hope when it comes time for me to have nephews they are as awesome as he is! :)

Posted by: Jen at May 14, 2007 11:25 AM

Quite the photographer! My younger daughter, who is now 9, still has a bit of a tendency to cut off upper body parts. Hank's got to learn to sweet-talk his models, though, for best results. (Work it, baby!)

And, yes, both Juno and its (her?) model are lovely; especially that button band! A thing of beauty, indeed!

Every time new yarn comes into my household -- EVERY TIME -- daughter #2 feels the need to remind me that I already have "enough yarn to last me until I die". Actually, recently she's amended to that to "well, years at least". I could take that as a tribute to my knitting speed and skill, or I could take that as an estimate of my life expectancy. . .
The 80s are 'my decade' (for what it's worth), so that means I don't expect to croak soon, necessarily.

My daughters think David Bowie rocks! (Ages 9 & 11) My preteen even has a T-shirt with David Bowie on. Of course, that's because he appeared in a movie they've seen that I haven't -- as the Goblin King in Labyrinth -- which, now that I look at it, is from the late 80s. Ah well, I was busy then. . . I'll have to watch it sometime, along with most movies since 1985 and most movies before 1970. . .

We just got a game similar to Dance Revolution as a treat after some fantastic dance recital performances this past weekend; the girls worked very hard and did great. I now see I can look forward to being trounced miserably even though I think of myself as a pretty hot dancer. I'd like to live in my world of illusion a little longer, please? (The Preteen is out to destroy any illusions or ego remaining to me, so I know that's a forlorn hope.)

Posted by: Cathy-Cate at May 14, 2007 11:25 AM

(Laugh-snorting my morning tea out my nose) Good one. Nice Juno. Great nephew.

Posted by: Rebecca at May 14, 2007 11:26 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how clever Hank is. And by clever I really mean a bit tricksy. He knows what's up. I'm sure of it, even if he doesn't know or love David Bowie just yet. He will someday.

Posted by: Hugo at May 14, 2007 11:29 AM

Such a shame my nieces are all too old for him......

And, I can assure you, as a music teacher who lived through the 80's, that, yes, they are impossible to explain to the next generation.

Posted by: Christine at May 14, 2007 11:31 AM

Are you going to come to Chicago anythime soon?

Posted by: anji at May 14, 2007 11:31 AM

wow, the sweater looks fabulous and it was such a close call with the yarn.
I would like to say as an older sister that matchbox cars can hurt pretty bad to step on and with the fact that they have wheels, they can also shoot right out from under you while walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Great lessons from Hank.
Hope you had a great mother's day!

Posted by: kalkette at May 14, 2007 11:36 AM

He is SO charming. And reminds me so much of my nephew, who's now 10... (I can't explain the 80s to him, either, though he loves Adam Ant's "Goody Two Shoes" he keeps asking me why anyone would write a song like "Ant Music" that "makes no sense at all!" he, too, thought David Bowie looks sort of stupid - then we watched Labyrinth!

Juno looks beautiful on you.

Posted by: Romilly at May 14, 2007 11:38 AM

Your nephew is absolutely adorable, and that sweater is just amazing.

Cat toys are no walk in the park when it comes to stepping on them at 2 o'clock in the morning on your way to break up the fight over which dog gets which dog bed in the dog room.

Happy Mother's Day!

Posted by: Tiny Tyrant at May 14, 2007 11:39 AM

Juno is lovely, and, more importantly, you look absolutely lovely in it.

Posted by: Lisa at May 14, 2007 11:43 AM

Oh, Stephanie, that sweater is very pretty, but on YOU? STUNNING! I mean honestly, eye-wateringly beautiful. I adore all those pictures, but then looking at yourself cheers me up in a general way. I love Hank too -- "...you're lying to those people?" That story is being told in offices and homes and yarn shops all over the Knowne Worlde; Hank will go down in history for that one. And I agree, what a great name for a man-knitter (or maybe beads, maybe he'll work with beads). Oh - I stepped on a Rescue Ranger not long ago (grandson's) and it said "Code Red, there's a fire!". Ow.

Posted by: Dale-Harriet in WI - laughing at May 14, 2007 11:44 AM

The sweater is breathtaking (I'm a sucker for cables), and Hank is as precious as ever.

Posted by: Crissy in Oregon at May 14, 2007 11:46 AM

Also, re: the Star Wars figurines/action figures (some of which are the same vintage as David Bowie, BTW) -- I hope you are no longer limping and that the force is with you from here on out. Yeowch.
(Jacks are also a waker-upper when found in the course of walking through the house.)

My daughter wanted to watch "the first Star Wars" the other day. She meant Episode I -- whereas I meant, you know, the first Star Wars that came out first! It wasn't Episode IV then! Another generation gap.

Posted by: Cathy-Cate at May 14, 2007 11:46 AM

How is it that you knit so fast? I mean, really, I am thinking alternative energy source that way you can whip a sweater out of this air!

I love the modifications . . . very lovely!

Posted by: Cindy B at May 14, 2007 11:46 AM

Beautiful! You, the sweater and the nephew:)

Posted by: Carol at May 14, 2007 11:46 AM

Absolutely stunning! It looks fantastic on you!

Posted by: Heather at May 14, 2007 11:49 AM

I just love Hank stories! He is such a great kid and a good photograper to boot! He's lucky to have an aunt who loves and appreciates him. Your Juno turned out great and looks lovely on you, especially when you are looking "pretty" :)

Posted by: Dawn at May 14, 2007 11:50 AM

Yea! Hank!

love the Hank stories, what a gem this kid is!

Posted by: Debbie at May 14, 2007 11:53 AM

As the mother of 2 boys - I can relate - my nemesis is Matchbox cars.
The sweater rocks.

Posted by: Teri at May 14, 2007 11:53 AM

Hhank is very, very cute! and Juno is stunning.

Ouch to the stepping on the light sabre though. That made me exclaim out loud.. :s

Posted by: Kai at May 14, 2007 11:54 AM

Your Juno turned out FABULOUS! Congrats!

Posted by: Erin at May 14, 2007 11:55 AM

What a delightful visit from a young man destined for a great career in photography. I LOVE your version of Juno! Not that I don't appreciate the lovely pattern from the original designer, but rather I appreciate the more modest version for those of us not belonging to the 20 something crowd. Have a great week!

Posted by: heide at May 14, 2007 11:55 AM

I'm happy just knowing that the shoulder seams match.

Posted by: B. at May 14, 2007 11:57 AM

I love that sweater. Any chance of the pattern being available?

I also love your blog - it makes me feel normal! I thought I was the only knitting nut until I read one of your books.

Lots of love and respect.

Sally

PS I also have glasses and what my kids refer to as 'bendy' hair. Don't you just love them (kids I mean)?

Posted by: Sally Pillinger at May 14, 2007 11:57 AM

No matter how hard you try, you do not look scary. We have this in common. OTOH you *always* look beautiful, even when not wearing a gobsmackingly gorgeous sweater.

I knew that about DDR (only in my case the relevant ages are 10 and 48) but luckily have less experience with Star Wars action figures.

Posted by: Lucia at May 14, 2007 11:59 AM

Hank takes way better photos than I do. It's very humbling. And the sweater is lovely.

Regarding David Bowie, once I was watching Labyrinth with my brother and a friend of ours, and my brother said, "I bet the costume people for the movie didn't have to make anything for David Bowie. I bet those are all his own clothes. You just know that when someone told him about the role, he must have said, 'Goblin king?' and looked into his closet, and then said, 'Yeah, I can do that, all right.'"

Posted by: Adri at May 14, 2007 11:59 AM

Is there anything more fun than seven year old boys!?

Juno looks fantastic and Hank is right about the buttons, perfect choice.

Posted by: Lynne aka Witchypoo at May 14, 2007 12:00 PM

He's a charmer! And Juno looks terrific. I had the good fortune of seeing the real Juno yesterday! (And receiving from her a most excellent hand cream recommendation.)

Posted by: Kathy at May 14, 2007 12:01 PM

"...I actually am delusional enough to believe that I would look like a million bucks in it, short...or not."(quote from previous yarn harlot blog item)

Any delusion is ended, the proof is in the photos. You are wonderful in it.

Posted by: Denise at May 14, 2007 12:01 PM

Wow, he did a great job with the photos! I don't think I'm ready for the honesty of a 7 yo boy. I'm barely ready for the honesty of a 43 yo boy.

While trying on clothes this weekend, I mentioned that I didn't like a top because of the upper-tummy pooch I have. He remarked that I should get rid of it then. I'm guessing he didn't know that working out 6 nights a week is working toward that goal. No, I didn't kill him...It's wrong to kill the innocents.

Posted by: Amy in StL at May 14, 2007 12:02 PM

That is one beautiful sweater! *sigh*

Loved the photoshoot... and the photographer's directions... hehehe... Even though the "Look Scary" one was a bit of a stretch for you... ;)

7 is such a cool age, and I'm really glad that he made you come clean about the yarn you still have.

Posted by: Karen at May 14, 2007 12:02 PM

Yes, Hank, there is some other grey yarn in Aunt Stephanie's house. It's for a gansey. Ask her about it.

Posted by: Presbytera at May 14, 2007 12:02 PM

The sweater is stunning. So are you. Hank is sweet but I beware of any people of any age who look sweet. As for no more yarn, my stash is just now spread around and sprayed with some anti-moth crap that is trying to kill me instead of the evil little things... so I can clearly see that I have stuff for a year at least. Or two or possibly fifty. Le sigh:D

Posted by: Linda at May 14, 2007 12:03 PM

Aw, jeez, Hank is cuter every year! Your sweater is just beautiful, and you do look mighty pretty.

Posted by: Julie at May 14, 2007 12:05 PM

I'm so glad to see that Hank is back--I've been wondering about him. And how did he get to be seven years old!! And, oh, yes--the sweater is lovely.

Posted by: Abby at May 14, 2007 12:05 PM

Posted by: Abby at May 14, 2007 12:07 PM

The sweater is fabulous (and you do, indeed, look pretty in it.) You gotta love little boys. I just never go barefoot in the house.

Posted by: Ruth at May 14, 2007 12:07 PM

Am I really the only one who wants to see the shoulder seams? It's lovely, but unlike B., I just can't tell if they match or not... ;)

Posted by: Ken at May 14, 2007 12:07 PM

Posted by: Abby at May 14, 2007 12:07 PM

Posted by: Ruth at May 14, 2007 12:08 PM

Love the new sweater! Juno looks fabulous although I think my ego would have taken a bit of a beating after that photo shoot too. Love that he thinks you would be lying if you said you only have a little yarn left. Hilarious!

Legos are nothing compared to hard plastic soldiers/star wars guys/transformers...

Posted by: Dorothy B at May 14, 2007 12:11 PM

Beautiful sweater (please don't show it to my mother, she's changed her mind 10 times on exactly what she wants in a cardigan, even tho there are 10 inches on the needles already.)

Beautiful nephew, it seems like only a couple of days ago he was 4.

My 6 year old wrote me a poem for mother's day. His handwriting is awful, so I may have gotten it wrote, but I think it goes:
My legs are short.
My hands are grubby.
My knees are skinned.
My mommy is chubby.

Yeah, they're charming... I surely wouldn't take that from anyone else. :)

Posted by: Mary Peed at May 14, 2007 12:11 PM

Hank is just the cutest. The sweater is awesome.

And I had a client a few years back who asked me who the Clash were (she was young, but old enough to know better!). I think I probably had that same reaction that you had...your brain just stops in place and goes completely blank as you try to get your head around the fact that you are now going to have to explain. the. Clash.

Posted by: Wen at May 14, 2007 12:15 PM

I like the running and "scary" pictures. :) And, of course, the sweater...

It may be the seven-year-old-boy thing that makes him think David Bowie looks "stupid". Do your daughters share Hank's opinion or yours?

Posted by: naomi at May 14, 2007 12:17 PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: shelly at May 14, 2007 12:19 PM

The sweater looks wonderful! And Hank sounds like a great kid.

Posted by: Jennifer at May 14, 2007 12:20 PM

LOL!!! Very funny post! Love the photo's!

Posted by: Mandi at May 14, 2007 12:22 PM

The ear on a hard plastic Piglet hurts too. I have two 7 year olds in the house(twins), and I get to laugh everyday at something they say. The other day one announced that Mom was "knitteling" again.

Posted by: Karen at May 14, 2007 12:22 PM

FANTASTIC! Can Hank come manage my FO photoshoots? Does he also use paparazzi speak like, 'be the sweater, you are the sweater...own it, own it'... ;)

It is a lovely sweater and sounds like it worked up just lickety split. Surely enough satisfaction to take away the pain of stepping on a miniature light sabre.

Posted by: Glenna at May 14, 2007 12:23 PM

I love digital cameras for this very reason! They take all the "every shot is expensive" stress out of picture taking and allow all of us to let our little-kid creativity take over. My favorite is the "be pretty" shot.

Posted by: Gail at May 14, 2007 12:23 PM

The sweater is gorgeous. I'd be attempted to try it if knitters weren't having so many problems with Rowan patterns.
Hank rocks as a photographer!

Posted by: ursula at May 14, 2007 12:27 PM

What a great sweater! Don't worry about Hank, you and the sweater look lovely in all the pictures (except, of course, where you are trying to look scary:) He's really a cute kid.

Posted by: EricaLynn at May 14, 2007 12:31 PM

Thankfully my boys decided they liked Bowie's music before they saw a picture of him, of course they love Queen, so possibly seeing him would not have mattered.

I totally hear the theme for The Six Million Dollar Man when I look at that running shot & your sweater looks great.

Sorry about your lego injury, with three boys I could have told you, but no one really believes until it happens to them!

Posted by: elan at May 14, 2007 12:31 PM

That kid's on to something. Nice to see that he's moved on from the ball winder. You look beautiful in your new sweater! And BTW? In my experience, nothing hurts quite so much as stepping on a jack, and I've done it more than once. I have literally seen colors when I've done it.

Posted by: regina at May 14, 2007 12:36 PM

Yup - my son is eight, and thinks David Bowie is "weird". Sigh. I loved (and still love) David Bowie.
I said something about running out of wool for something, and he just stopped, gave me the eye-roll, and said "Mom, you'll NEVER run out of wool. Can't you see how much there is here?"

They're all the same.

Posted by: Sandra at May 14, 2007 12:38 PM

"So....you're lying to these people?"

I just may have done serious damage to my sinuses with a mouthful of brown rice. That is hilarious.

On a purely unrelated note (well, unrelated to this post, not to you in general) I loaned a friend my copy of Yarn Harlot. She is an ex-knitter (I know, I could scarcely believe it myself)- and she quit because she was becoming "too obsessed" (I apologise for the shock that may cause you). Apparently I (with the help of your book) have lured her back to the dark side. She picked up her needles again!

Posted by: Danielle at May 14, 2007 12:39 PM

As the mother of an (almost) 7 year old, I feel your pain. I stepped on Darth Vader in full battle mode just yesterday.

And I believe Tyra (Banks) calls that look "Fierce". You have to watch something while you knit on Wednesday nights, right?

And Juno is beyond beautiful.

Posted by: Heather at May 14, 2007 12:40 PM

Love your Juno just so pretty on a pretty model even the scary one. Hankster is a stitch as the old timers used to say. He comes by it honestly though.....Aunt Stephanie. Love his lying to the people part and what a cutie buying his mum flowers.

The David Bowie one happened to me personally the other way around. lol DD went with some friends to see David Bowie's 50th birthday party at Madison Square Gardens. Well the guy that was taking them said to me 'do you know who David Bowie is'. lol I told him in so many words that I probably knew about him before he was born. Much to the embrassement of my DD.

I hope you had a great Mother's Day.

Posted by: Catriona in Scarborough at May 14, 2007 12:40 PM

Sharing kid stories (my son is 4)-

When we go to the yarnstore, he complains that I already have lots and lots of yarn, and he hardly has any. And why won't I buy him any today?

He takes a mean picture of alpaca butt and chickens. And occasionally gets half my head in a picture. Purely by accident, I'm sure.

Painful foot stories abound. We're also drowning in sand from school.

Posted by: Gwen at May 14, 2007 12:40 PM

As the mother of a 7 year old, I can just add "yep" that's what they are all like! And legos still hurt, so do playmobil pieces.

My kids like Weird Al, so the 80's generation isn't completely lost on them. However, when they heard the original songs parodied by Weird Al, they got very confused ;)

Beautiful sweater! And you work so fast. I get 3 inches on a sock done in the same time you finish a sweater! *goggle*

Posted by: Michele at May 14, 2007 12:41 PM

You don't have to "try." You just are.

You and I may, at times, have different tastes in clothing, but for that sweater, dude, we are on the same page. Still, that collar worried me, frankly. But it looks utterly brilliant on you. Good thing you're a fast knitter, because I'm totally using you as the Short Person Test-Drive for stuff I like. Wicked good job, Steph!

Posted by: Lee Ann at May 14, 2007 12:42 PM

Hank is getting big. Such a cutie patootie.

Juno looks awesome and Hank did a great job on the photo shoot. Perhaps he told you to try to be pretty because really he thinks you're beautiful. And he knows it's hard bring down your standards. ;-)

Posted by: LaurieM at May 14, 2007 12:44 PM

Aren't nephew's the greatest? He is quite the photographer and you indeed look pretty. Not just in the last photo, but in all of them.

Posted by: Angela at May 14, 2007 12:45 PM

Hank stories make me ponder having kids, but then reality sets in and I remember all the reasons that I leave that to other people. :)

It's a gorgeous sweater. Kudos!

Posted by: Tanya at May 14, 2007 12:45 PM

I think Hank needs to get a camera of his own for his next birthday maybe ? Take a few classes in photography and hes away to a good career. FAntastic sweater and finished up so fast BUT the what not to wear gang would not approve because you have completly covered up the ""girls "" as they say. What do they know --it still looks lovely on you . Enjoy knitting and wearing it , thats the main thing . does Hank know anything of the Beatles or John Wayne ? OMgoodness he's got to learn about them !!! So much learning for such a sweet little guy. Must quiz my nephews about this too.

Posted by: Joan H at May 14, 2007 12:45 PM

You had me laughing out loud over the "lying" comment. Out of the mouthes of babes.....lol

Posted by: Kay at May 14, 2007 12:45 PM

Beautiful sweater, nephew, and yourself! And you were worried you couldn't wear a sweater with a big collar. Now I'm lusting after that pattern more than ever.

I can relate to the hazardous objects on the floor--in addition to Morwynne I have three boys, the youngest of whom is three. I have adopted a gliding gait similar to wading through four inches of water when walking barefoot in my house--and I don't walk barefoot very often any more.

Hank is so cool! Morwynne and Jamie (my 19 year old) know Bowie from having watched Labyrinth over and over from an early age--it's a fun movie. I've been a fan since my teens. My younger two still don't know who he is. But they will.

Posted by: Anna-Liza at May 14, 2007 12:46 PM

Haha, awesome! I always love the Hank stories - he's such a character. Juno is beautiful, as I expected it would be. I hope you loved playing DDR even in defeat. I think it is so much fun (and can count as a workout too - woohoo!). :)

Posted by: ashpags at May 14, 2007 12:46 PM

Oh, that collar! What an amazingly beautiful piece!

Sigh. I want one now (along with a gazillion other things that I will NEVER have).

Your nephew's visits always make me smile. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: knittingnurse at May 14, 2007 12:46 PM

The 80's are difficult to explain only because they are relatively recent. I remember being mystified by the 50's as they were explained to me as a child in the 70's. Let us also remember that David Bowie was not at his best in the 80's. This fact does nothing to lessen my love of "Let's Dance" or "China Girl" because I HAVE embraced the crap music of my youth and I feel lighter because of it. I love me some Duran Duran. Also sweater is HOT HOT HOT!

Posted by: Gwyneth at May 14, 2007 12:47 PM

Great sweater, flattering fit! You look even thinner than when I met you!

Posted by: Pattie at May 14, 2007 12:48 PM

Indeed, time is truly flying...Hank is 7 now! He's beautiful, and love his photography skills. Juno is quite splendid and yes, you are completely lovely wearing her (you're lovely all the time).
Gee, it's been a long time since my boys were kids but they had all those action figures (think when the first Star Wars film came out) and again now with GS Conor....very sharp little toys.

Posted by: marianne at May 14, 2007 12:48 PM

I love this sweater! I must make it immediately if not sooner, including the mods for the higher neck. *swoon*

Hank, as always, is adorable. And the scary picture is my favorite, the boy has a future in fashion photography methinks.

Posted by: Lexy at May 14, 2007 12:49 PM

Gee I can't imagine wny your neighbors look at you funny.

Posted by: jen at May 14, 2007 12:49 PM

Great sweater, and absolutely precious nephew! My little brother is around that age; they're so adorable!

Posted by: Chelsey at May 14, 2007 12:51 PM

The question is:

Did you scream like a Wookie when you stepped on one?

Hank is a very talented photographer.

Posted by: Steph VW at May 14, 2007 12:51 PM

That Hank has got a real eye for photography - the "LOWER" picture shows off the collar of Juno beautifully. Obviously, he's brilliant.

Posted by: Jen at May 14, 2007 12:51 PM

That is just the cutest thing I have ever read! What an adorable seven-year-old!

Posted by: Jamisyn at May 14, 2007 12:53 PM

I love the sweater and the photos and art direction for them.

Posted by: BlackRayne at May 14, 2007 12:55 PM

Great sweater. Awesome Hank!

Posted by: Karen in Toledo at May 14, 2007 12:55 PM

Juno looks great, and what a good photographer your nephew is. I liked the "Running" pose - made me think of the Bionic Woman - hey, maybe that's how you come to knit so fast!!

By the way, am I right in thinking we STILL haven't seen a photo-shoot of the Bohus?

Posted by: Helen in Denmark at May 14, 2007 12:55 PM

Absolutely beautiful sweater, and you look great in it... in every picture, not just the last one!

In response to #3 of your post... I was in hysterics about the look that must have been on his face when he looked around as you said that was the last bit of yarn left... Just the other day I was relocating some of my stash, when I realized, I better not pull it all out now, lest I feel guilty about my planned trip to Webs tent sale next weekend....

Posted by: rhonda at May 14, 2007 12:58 PM

At least the difference in your heights wasn't large enough for the infamous up the nostril shot.

Posted by: Caroline M at May 14, 2007 12:59 PM

Beautiful sweater! I liked the picture of the pattern, but I love the way it looks on you! Of course, perhaps the difference is in the expert photography.

Posted by: Panhandle Jane at May 14, 2007 1:02 PM

Another shriek-with-laughter post. Go Hank! What great photographs (sorry about the foot, though.) And David Bowie? So 70's, man. (Who's talking about making people feel old, eh?)

Posted by: AlisonH at May 14, 2007 1:02 PM

Oh my god! Seven already?! I remember back when he broke the ball winder! {sigh} I would have given him my money too.

Posted by: Kristen at May 14, 2007 1:05 PM

Hee. :) Kids are a hoot - definitely not for those with low self esteem! *g*

I love the sweater. And you look very pretty and fashionable in it.

Posted by: Romi at May 14, 2007 1:12 PM

Oh, how wonderful. The sweater is beautiful and so is the nephew. Did you tell him we have some idea that you might, perhaps, have OTHER yarn in the house, but it was not intended for the making of that sweater, and we are only talking about THAT sweater today.

Posted by: PICAdrienne at May 14, 2007 1:13 PM

Amazing sweater - amazing photographer! Has Hank chosen a career path yet? I love that I remember his other birthday posts. Thanks for sharing Hank and so many great things with us. :)

Posted by: Laura at May 14, 2007 1:14 PM

OK. I just started hysterically laughing at work. I can't even secretly try to read the blog at work any longer. Nobody here knits and they don't/won't understand the look on Hank's face when you try to tell him the difference between "yarn left over from this project" and the rest of the yarn overflowing the house. Not to mention that they would all have the same look.

I love that sweater so much! It is so beautiful!

Also, way to go on the emoting with the photos. If only Hank had known to ask you to be a "tree". On second though, maybe not. I would have spewed coffee with a photo of you being "a strong oak" like Katherine Hepburn.

Posted by: Sandy at May 14, 2007 1:26 PM

My little Yarn Sniffer (nearly seven) is usually the one most willing to do FO photo shoots, and they're equally charming and fun (and the photos certainly aren't flattering). He and Hank could have a lot of fun wtih a few hours and a camera!

Posted by: WendyI at May 14, 2007 1:26 PM

Explaining the '80's. Oh, how droll.

I nearly threw a child out of a moving vehicle when she said 'The Beatles were important, right? Kind of like KC and the Sunshine Band?'

She now knows far better. And since she's now 40 (yes, I let her live), she's probably getting payback.

Posted by: shekints at May 14, 2007 1:26 PM

sounds like a great weekend, very insightful!
I love that sweater, it fits you perfectly!

Posted by: courtney at May 14, 2007 1:28 PM

What a truly fabulous visit from your Hank - and a superb photoshoot.

Also, while I am sure those fighting guys were mighty uncomfortable to step on, my second oldest sister might argue that they are not THE most painful things to step on. She might, in fact, tell you about a time that her twin baby sisters left their metal jacks on the stairs and she (somehow - who knows how) ended up with TWO jacks in her foot. The ball end in her foot. (She really ought to be more careful, bounding up the stairs two-by-two.)

Posted by: Kristy at May 14, 2007 1:29 PM

Now...Hank wouldn't be a Henry would he? (currently trying to fight off the 'Hank' name from my 1yo son Henry) I am sure you are exhausted by the visit! But sounds like he was great fun! (Still cracking up about the 'lying' comment!!)

Posted by: Deana at May 14, 2007 1:30 PM

I think this may be my first comment here - but I've been reading a long time.

I must tell you though - Hank is definitely no harder on the ego than many of the photographer's I've seen. (just don't mention my website - I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker in my work circle!).

Juno looks fabulous and hank has quite the eye!

Posted by: lisaz at May 14, 2007 1:32 PM

Awesome post, especially the photo shoot. The finished sweater looks great. In a few years, you never know, Hank could be a Bowie fan - I'd say start him on "Ziggy Stardust," and see where it goes from there...

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 14, 2007 1:33 PM

Loved the photo shoot! (and the sweater of course!)

For me it is cat toys, or random electronic gizmos. Knowing how much those hurt, I can't imagine stepping on a light saber, ugh!

Posted by: Laura at May 14, 2007 1:35 PM

beautiful sweater and great Hank stories. the picture of him and the flowers is priceless!

Posted by: joy at May 14, 2007 1:35 PM

Fantastic! This was just the pick-me-up I didn't know I needed. :)

Posted by: Kelli at May 14, 2007 1:36 PM

Hey - awesome work getting that done just in time for summer!

: )

Teasing. See you at Webs - hopefully I'll see you after for a beer.

Posted by: Cece at May 14, 2007 1:37 PM

I love that you were willing to play along with his photography directions, and even more than you were willing to post them for all of us to enjoy!! :)

Posted by: Lily at May 14, 2007 1:38 PM

The sweater turned out beautifully - and a great fit!
Hank is adorable - what a cute age!

Posted by: Sue at May 14, 2007 1:39 PM

He. Is getting. So. TALL! Not fair! Oh, and the sweater looks fabulous.

Posted by: Emily at May 14, 2007 1:39 PM

I like "scary" best, LOL! I always enjoy reading about your adventures with hank. He may say "try and be pretty", but it's clear he'll never have to say "try and act like you love me".

Posted by: Cass at May 14, 2007 1:40 PM

I am not a children person, I'm just not. No way, no how, much to my mother's heartbreak I just don't enjoy, respond to, laugh at, look at with a sigh, children.

Your nephew is the most precious, beautiful, inspiring child I have ever seen. He makes me cry he is so beautiful.

Posted by: Moe at May 14, 2007 1:41 PM

The sweetness of the Hankster. I have 3 boys- here- (of WAY varying ages 17-5) just like 'em.

BTW- you did a nice job "trying" to be pretty;)

Sweater is gorgeous. Granted- Hank's cuteness nearly eclipsed it;)

What a geat kid- and a great aunt;)

ps--- I think he's got serious photo skills- great job Hank!

Posted by: tracey in mi at May 14, 2007 1:41 PM

Do you think I could adopt Hank? Then I don't have to go through that whole pregnacy and baby thing.

Besides I like his Star Wars toys. They may not know Bowie, but it gives me some comfort knowing they play with Star Wars guys still.

Posted by: Sherry W at May 14, 2007 1:47 PM

The sweater is beautiful and you look terrific in it. Very stylish. Hank has a great talent for successful photo shoots.

Glad to see your trees are in full leaf and spring has come to Toronto.

Posted by: M. Gail at May 14, 2007 1:48 PM

Absolutely Gorgeous Sweater! Thanks for sharing - Love the Modeling Shots!!

Posted by: Daniele at May 14, 2007 1:52 PM

I would never trade growing up with David Bowie music... but Dance Dance Revolution? That could've been hours of endless entertainment right there.

Maybe sway him with Danny Michel's Loving the Alien?? Kinda like getting your broccoli hidden in your mashed potatoes. Not that David Bowie is like broccoli. Ever. Or that Danny Michel is like a potato... I think I've got that wrong. Anyhoo.

That Hank is one clever dude. And Juno turned out just lovely!

Posted by: sknitster at May 14, 2007 1:52 PM

Fabulous post. I loved all of the photos. Hank will always remember those times that it seemed like you didn't do anything very exciting. They are very precious.

love,
r
P.S. I agree about stepping on Legos. And is it just me or are today's kids getting the better deal when it comes to Legos? We had rectangular or square...maybe a door or a pine tree. Now they have everything!! But they're still cool!

Posted by: robyn at May 14, 2007 1:55 PM

Oh I only have to wait a year and half and I will have a perfect photographer! and then another a year and a half after that!
Ahh 7 year old boys are fun! And Hank is just getting cuter and cuter!

Posted by: Denise at May 14, 2007 1:58 PM

Good gawd, woman - you just started that sweater! And I LOVE it! Dang. Now I have to go get the pattern, and the yarn...

It's lovely, just as you are. Also loved the photographer who keeps you honest - ha!

I'm with the folks that say a metal jack is *the* most painful thing to step on. But not necessarily the most memorable: Late one night, a friend went to check on a noise in her small son's room. And - in the dark, mind you - stepped square on the talking Tickle-Me-Elmo, which promptly growled an evil "heh heh heh" (in bass voice) at her. They nearly had to pry her off the ceiling...

Loved the post,
Nan

Posted by: Nan C at May 14, 2007 2:00 PM

That sweater looks great. Congrats. And the photos are hilarious. Hurray for 7yo. photo stylists.

Posted by: Sonja at May 14, 2007 2:05 PM

Aww Hank is so cute- well until the part about not knowing Bowie. He was my first crush (I am 28, so my first Bowie sighting was in the movie labyrinth). I moved on to Johnny Depp after that, but I will always have a special place in my heart for David .

Posted by: Jenn at May 14, 2007 2:06 PM

Great sweater. I am love with the yarn its beautiful.

Got to love the logic of a 7yr old. Oh been there done that several times with legos and various other small toys I think we moms develop tough feet during the toy playing stages. No worries around age 12 or some time after that less and less small toys that are much less expensive then the electronic ones are not laying around no more for us to walk upon.

I try to tell my soon to be 13yr old about 80's bands. lol She thinks I am old. :( Really I am not I grew up in the 80's and not quite ready to called old just yet. lol. And no worries I work at a highschool and I see 80's styles creeping back into fashion. OH MY. Its scarry. And the kids like to listen to anything from the 60's on up??? All I can say is those were good rock years. lol.

Oh whats your next project!!! Cant wait to see it.

Posted by: Diane at May 14, 2007 2:08 PM

Just for the record, I'm a child of the 90's, but I love David Bowie.

Juno is ridiculously pretty, and I love the idea of a Hank-directed photoshoot.

Posted by: S at May 14, 2007 2:09 PM

OK, I am never going to walk barefoot in the house after I have kids. NEVER. College, with scary levels of dirt on just-cleaned floors, has taught me well that flip flops are required and that having 30 pairs is not unreasonable.

I'm loving the sweater, the photo shoot, and as always, Hank.

Posted by: confiance at May 14, 2007 2:09 PM

That sweater is perfect on you!
Hank is a hoot. He's going to be real trouble when it comes to girls.
And thank goodness that there are few surviving pictures of my 80's hair. What was I thinking?

Posted by: Lorette at May 14, 2007 2:11 PM

Awwww, Auntie Steph - You two had a blast, I can see; and I agree that he should manage all of your photo shoots - they're hysterical! :) I LOVE the sweater - NICE modifications!

Posted by: Claire at May 14, 2007 2:12 PM

Very sweet boy! I have one just like it! Only, it's 5 next month and I still don't look down when walking about the house! But he made me a clothes-pin butterfly for Mother's Day! And gave me a chocolate spoon and two plants... Hubby... nada. Actually made me go to HIS mother's for M's Day. Ya.

Posted by: Rhonda at May 14, 2007 2:13 PM

The 80's are difficult to explain to the OLDER generation (like me - an old hippie of the 60's). Just last week I was wondering about Hank - it's been awhile since you posted about him. He has a future as a fashion photographer if you ask me. He is absolutely adorable in that last picture. Local schools are using Dance Dance Revolution in PE - the kids love it & they get a good aerobic workout. It looks like so much fun that I'm thinking of getting it for myself. But I will NOT compete with the grands on it!!!

Posted by: Donna at May 14, 2007 2:14 PM

Forgot to say that I LOVE the sweater - lovely, lovely, lovely. I am such a fan of texture.

Posted by: Donna at May 14, 2007 2:15 PM

Juno is beautiful!!! I am somewhat amazed at how fast you finished this one. Kudos. This really looks like one you will totally enjoy wearing; I think you will live in it. Again, Kudos!!!! Ruth in NJ

Posted by: Ruth in NJ at May 14, 2007 2:21 PM

The sweater turned out beautifully! I had a guitar teacher who was 15 years my junior (it was his first job) and I was trying to explain to him that yes, men quite often wore make-up at that time, and no, no one our age thought it was odd in the slightest.

Posted by: Franki at May 14, 2007 2:22 PM

Love the sweater, love the nephew, love the whole darn post.

Posted by: Marti at May 14, 2007 2:29 PM

The sweater is beautiful!

and yes, kids are great at taking your self esteem down a notch :)

Posted by: Meadow at May 14, 2007 2:29 PM

It is absolutely gorgeous -- I may need to copy this one!

Posted by: lv2knit at May 14, 2007 2:29 PM

Whoo! Gorgeous sweater!

And hearing about Hank's antics just makes me think of what I'll be in for in a few years. My Henry still hasn't quite turned into a "Hank" yet, though we think he still may. We'll see how things go.

Posted by: Thorny at May 14, 2007 2:41 PM

The Juno sweater is lovely, and it suits you well. The color shows the pattern very nicely.

Hank is funny; kids are such a kick.

It's amazing how short the generations pass these days with the speed that pop culture changes. At Kristine's gym the other day, several people who are ostensibly adults (late '20's-early '30's!) did not know who the Talking Heads were. The friends of my sister's kids have no clue about anything before their time, unless it's been sampled in something that's hot this week. This is curable. My sister's kids do know about a lot of the old stuff, since I listen to everything from baroque to industrial. Unlike their friends, they know what a vinyl album is. They know what jazz is. They've even seen a wind-up Victrola play a 78.

A 7-year-old is not necessarily going to be up on music anyway, but for some kids you can tell them that David Bowie gave Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) his first big break, and has done some recent work with him. Maybe that'll help.

We have a young (16-year-old) lady friend who sometimes works for Kristine. Of course, she is into Marilyn Manson and all of that, mainly to freak out the grownups. But she also introduced us to the Dresden Dolls, who are a new group that we like very much. And the music she loves best is good old '70's progressive rock -- Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc. There's hope.

Legos have always been king of the step-on-boys-toys, with (as others have mentioned) jacks as the queen of step-on-girls-toys. But I think the toy industry has taken that as a challenge, and is doing its best to make ever more nasty things to step on. The all-time king, however, I encountered in college: Robotech miniatures. These look like Transformer-type robots, except they are about 1 to 2 inches tall, and made of metal, and used for miniatures strategy games. Yeeeeoowwwwch!

Did you make to the No Sheep For You event at Lettuce Knits the other night? Amy is very cool. The book is cool. If you went, you may have seen another example of my wife's yarn.

PhilB

P.S. to Cathy-Cate: The first Star Wars movie has always been Episode IV. Look at the very beginning of the big receding yellow letters. Lucas originally mapped out a story outline that was supposed to be 9 films, with the first three made being the middle of the story, then the three for the beginning of the story, and a final trilogy for the end of the story. The last trilogy will probably never get made, which (judging by the second one) is just as well. I think the downfall began with the Ewoks, which were originally conceived as a reptilian race, with chameleon abilities, and would have been much more credible as a guerrilla force against the Empire. They got changed to cute little teddy-bear people for toy-marketing purposes. :P

Posted by: Phil Boncer at May 14, 2007 2:43 PM

You know, I have a goddaughter in your area who has a completely charming daughter about Hank's age .... By, does that make ME feel old. I'm a grandgodmother ....

Posted by: Valeria in Georgia at May 14, 2007 2:50 PM

Awesome! Other than the lightsaber, sounds like a fantastic weekend.

Posted by: Alison at May 14, 2007 2:50 PM

I swear, Hank gets cuter every year! I can't wait until my nephews are old enough to help me on photo shoots. :-b

Posted by: LisaPA at May 14, 2007 2:55 PM

Your sweater is very lovely. cecilia

Posted by: cecilia at May 14, 2007 2:59 PM

Hank is awesome . . . is he available to direct my photo shoot in a few days? I shall try to make some of the socks look scary in his honor. Hank has grown so much! What a sweetheart.

The sweater is gorgeous, and appears to fit you perfectly as well - methinks you are not nearly so gauge-challenged as you sometimes describe yourself. I do love that collar, and it is much improved with the raised neckline.

Posted by: Cat Bordhi at May 14, 2007 3:01 PM

I want that sweater more now.

Posted by: claudia at May 14, 2007 3:01 PM

Beautiful sweater, hysterical nephew. But for the love, educate the boy about Bowie. Rent "Labyrinth" for him - it's a Jim Henson film, so it will appeal to him. If he were a girl, David Bowie as the Goblin King would eventually appeal *strongly* to him - I lost my 10 year old heart to David Bowie because of that film.

Posted by: Julie at May 14, 2007 3:02 PM

OK, it's fabulous. But let's review: you went from "gotta have it" to photo shoot in... 2.5 weeks? While knitting Big Pink Thing? That's a pretty inspiring (or terrifying) turnaround!!

Posted by: Trish at May 14, 2007 3:03 PM

What a Wonderful!! (WONDERFUL!!) Sweater!!
And how cool that a 7 year old can take such terrific photos!
(and yes, that face, with those flowers would have melted my heart and loosened the purse strings immediately!)
(((hugs)))

Posted by: knitnana at May 14, 2007 3:08 PM

Just wait until he's into Cinex. Those aren't any fun to step on either. Nor are Bioncle parts. Pictures are hilarious! Poor Hank must need glasses if he can't see how fantabulously pretty you are. :D

Posted by: Denise in GA at May 14, 2007 3:09 PM

Ha! I've totally had this conversation with my fiance:

Me: I think I'm going to run out of yarn.
F: (Snort) Yeah, like that's possible.
Me: What I meant to say was that I'm going run out of this type and color of yarn.

The sweater is lovely, and Hank is such a cutie!

Posted by: Kristy at May 14, 2007 3:13 PM

Ha, Ha! Hank is an honest little guy, isn't he? Juno looks fabulous on you -- great job! I think you chose "good buttons," too.

Posted by: Octopus Knits at May 14, 2007 3:15 PM

The sweater came out seriously pretty.

I like the shot of you being "scary" best.

Posted by: Marina Stern at May 14, 2007 3:24 PM

Wow! The sweater turned out lovely! I've been on vacation (and therefore unplugged) for a couple of weeks, so I need to go back and read the specifics of working it up. While on vacation I got some of that Scottish Tweed Aran to knit the Equestrian Jacket from IK (I think it is Fall '06). Haven't worked with it before, but it is lovely stuff! Hank is obviously a famous photographer in the making. Nice work!

Posted by: Linda V. at May 14, 2007 3:25 PM

Ok, I missed Hank updates. We jokingly call our 3yo Hank, because he also loves my ballwinder. He definitely likes knitting more than the 15yo daughter.

Very lovely sweater. I'm tempted to make that one too! it's so pretty with your modifications.

Posted by: Barb at May 14, 2007 3:26 PM

The sweater looks amazing on you. You have a great photostylist.

Posted by: Dr. Steph at May 14, 2007 3:35 PM

You're only 38 years old?!?!?!

Posted by: ChrisT at May 14, 2007 3:36 PM

Love the running shot, you look like a super action figure there! (the sweater is pretty nice too)

Posted by: Gaile at May 14, 2007 3:41 PM

Juno is beautiful. So I guess we can put that extra ball of Rowan back on the shelves. Too bad, we liked having it in the back room labeled "hold for harlot".

Posted by: Magpie Yarn at May 14, 2007 3:50 PM

Oooh fantastic sweater!

Posted by: turtlegirl76 at May 14, 2007 3:50 PM

PRETTY? I'll just bet that Hank thinks his Aunt Stephanie is beautiful!

Posted by: CurliSu at May 14, 2007 3:51 PM

I know exactly what you mean about 'self esteem'. My 4 year old woke me up Friday morning. As I was getting out of bed, she explained to me that I had to look pretty for the tea party at school that day. I agreed with her. Then she looked at me, paused and said "That's not pretty, mommy." Sigh.
Your sweater on the other hand, she approves of, and wants to know if Hank can come over and play!

Posted by: gwynivar at May 14, 2007 3:53 PM

David Bowie . . . 80's???? I think not. My first concert ever was in 1972 - I was a freshman in high school and lied to my parents so I could go. Ziggy Stardust baby. Totally worth it. (o:

Posted by: Julie at May 14, 2007 3:56 PM

Thanks for that! I really needed a laugh this morning, and my stomach is still sore from laughing so hard! I love Hank - he's a wonderful boy. And as my daughter would say, "You are very prettyful," even without trying. It's nice to see pictures of you now and again!

The sweater is gorgeous, including the buttons. I admire how you made it so quickly.

My sister turned me on to a new website of hand-made items - it's great. Check out the stitch markers!

Posted by: Katherine at May 14, 2007 4:04 PM

My mom would swear that stepping on Lite Bright pegs was the worst feeling in the world. That was of course before she brok her foot in the Bahamas stepping onto the sidewalk, but I can vouch for the Lite Bright pegs -- those were torture to pull out of feet when I would babysit.

The next worst thing to step on that's a kids' toy? Play-doh. Especially if it's on carpet and squishes through your toes.

As for the '80s, sigh. I don't think we'll ever be able to explain Bowie, Band Aid, pegged pants, mallrat hair and John Hughes' films to another generation. When I was 21 and a Senior at Syracuse, my 18-year old residents didn't know who the Smurfs were, much less Jem or the Gremlins.

Posted by: Heather at May 14, 2007 4:07 PM

That is a beautiful buttonband shot. I love seeing the details.

When Hank grows beyond that endearing buy-Mom-flowers stage to the sulky teen stage (which seems to still retain the messy, overly literal, less than tactful bits) at least you can threaten him with photos of pink dragon mittens to keep him in line. Thankfully, my nephews all seem to be coming out the other side of their teens as once again endearing people.

Though I graduated from highschool in '71, I most often identify myself as a child of the 60s. The 60s seem to be easy for kids to understand, though many can't grasp how repressive the 50s actually were.

And I associate David Bowie and Weird Al with my era. I will admit that Weird Al may have just been a California thing at that point.

Posted by: KarenJoSeattle at May 14, 2007 4:24 PM

It looks great. This post was just hilarious. And you survived photo session with grace. Thanks for the chuckles!

KFF

Posted by: KFF at May 14, 2007 4:26 PM

Try explaining Cyndi Lauper to a 7 year old. It didn't go well.
Now, Queen, that was fine. David Bowie we segued into with "Under Pressure" - She was non-plussed when I confessed that indeed I was not shocked by GreenDay, but actually LIKE them, and then proceeded to introduce her to the Talking Heads. It is my duty as an auntie to corrupt the little minds.

Sadly Miles Davis was dissed as "just a bunch of trumpet music." And Tina Turner as "boring noise." And you don't even want to hear about her opinions of anything remotely, possibly, ever to be labeled "country." OUCH!

One fears for the state of the universe left in such hands.

Next time she comes, I'll put Parliament/Funkadelic on constant replay and reprogram her from the media deluge of bland.

BTW, the snowdrop shawl is looking lovely - I'm working on the border now (800 freaking rows!!!) in green alpaca silk. I'm looking forward to blocking the daylights out of this thing, but now am pondering that with this fiber I might have to spritz it with a wee starch to get it to stay set. Comments?

Posted by: Ann (yet another) at May 14, 2007 4:27 PM

Steph: Having made it to the tender age of 42 (last month), and thrilled with my 19-month old obsession (only been knittin since Oct/05), I pause to wonder why I didn't start this obsession sooner? I don't have kids! Only a big dog. There is no one to distract me, while my Best Friend who recently moved to VT last July w/Fam, has 2 girls (9 y.o., and 2 y.o), to "distract" from her knitting. But I digress. I chuckled when I read about your stepping onto Star Wars figurines, and it hit me. Ny-la-bones to prevent tartar build up on your Dog's teeth hurt just as much as a "mini light sword - especially if you walk and read knitting patterns from one room to the next like me! BTW - I'm a product of the 80's; BIG hair and all!

Posted by: Michele at May 14, 2007 4:27 PM

As a mother of a seven year old who is also an avid star wars & lego fan - I can totally relate to the wounds resulting from said objects. I **LOVE** the juno sweater! Just what I need for my family's road trip from Alaska to San Diego. Looking forward to your visit here in June!! (The snow is gone!)

Posted by: Heather "Arctic Knitter" at May 14, 2007 4:28 PM

Loving the sweater! I was going to make one with plain aran yarn but will switch to a tweed now. It just looks fabulous!

Posted by: Carol at May 14, 2007 4:34 PM

The sweater is gorgeous, and your nephew is adorable. You must have been knitting very fast at the end, there. I see you finished in the nick of time!

Posted by: Jen in CT at May 14, 2007 4:44 PM

Oh I laughed so hard I cried at the "So....you're lying to these people?"

He is a great photographer with a super model btw.

Posted by: rho1640 at May 14, 2007 4:55 PM

Oh my, I had to give my daughter a detailed analysis of all the musicians who have worn "guy"liner before her blessed 20-year-old singers.

The sweateris lovely, your poses are all wonderful.

Posted by: Kim at May 14, 2007 4:57 PM

I know that some people come here for the humour, some people come here for the knitting, some people come here for the tutorials. Me? I come here for the Hank.

Posted by: Nadia Lewis at May 14, 2007 4:57 PM

Love the sweater!
Love the boy!
Love "The Harlot"! Thanks for making a not so great day just a little bit brighter!

Posted by: Debi B at May 14, 2007 5:03 PM

Juno is fabulous and most enhanced by the scarey pose. The photographer did an excellent job.

Posted by: Cate at May 14, 2007 5:12 PM

Oh I love nephews! My favorite is when they do my hair for the photo shoots! ;) He did a great job on the photos. And you, my dear, did a fantastic job on Juno!!! Looks great!

Posted by: Kim at May 14, 2007 5:13 PM

Ah ha ha! The 80's. Try as anyone might, I doubt it will be possible to explain.

Looks like a fun weekend!

Posted by: Diana at May 14, 2007 5:22 PM

Ah, yes, the brutal honesty of seven-year-olds.... Not for the faint of heart.

Hank rules!

Love the new sweater. The collar in particular is spectacular.

Moment of fellow feeling: the other day in my class while trying to explain his attempt at pop art, a student referred to n example. He thought it was on something called an "album cover" called 'Sargent Peeper' something-or-other but he'd "never heard of it". He looked truly befuddled when I clasped my head and groaned.

Hank may need some work on the word 'stash'.

Posted by: Cath at May 14, 2007 5:25 PM

He is so cute it hurts.

Posted by: Jane in NC at May 14, 2007 5:30 PM

Juno is Gorgeous! and Hank looks absolutely adorable with those flowers...

Posted by: Nikki at May 14, 2007 5:32 PM

looks like Hank has great potential as a wonderful photographer.

ahhh picking up stitches, i have to practice that some more.

Posted by: melinda at May 14, 2007 5:39 PM

"TRY AND BE PRETTY" had me laughing out loud. I'll be laughing out of the other side of my face in a few years when my oldest is 7. I'm sure he'll have something similar to say when taking my picture. :)

(Lovely sweater, by the way! :)

Posted by: Abigail at May 14, 2007 5:39 PM

I once had teenager tell me that Pat Benatar's music was "the oldies." I swear, I felt lightheaded.

Fantastic sweater! You knitted that in NO time!

Posted by: Tara at May 14, 2007 5:39 PM

What a sweetie! And such an eye for photography. Is he single? I have a nearly 7 year old daughter. . .

Posted by: Charissa at May 14, 2007 5:44 PM

Your Juno came out great. I love the color. It is a great sweater, isn`t it? . I just finished mine, also inspired by the talented Vanessa. I love it.
Nephew is really cute. He could make a career out of taking pictures of knitters. I think every knitter needs a cute nephew skilled with a camera.

Posted by: Anna at May 14, 2007 5:49 PM

The entirety of this entry made me laugh. Especially the nephew saying that David Bowie looks "kind of dumb." HA! :-)

Posted by: Amy at May 14, 2007 5:59 PM

LOL... I just love the picture of you being scary. How funny.

Juno turned out great. I might have to put that one on my to-do list. The mods really make the difference between it being "eh" and WOW!

Posted by: Leisel at May 14, 2007 6:02 PM

Oh man, I've been lusting after that sweater ever since I saw Vanessa's! Now I'm positively drooling. Well done!

Posted by: Micki at May 14, 2007 6:03 PM

Totally brain dead after a day of jury duty, so I haven't read a single comment here. Which tells you I usually do so I won't be repetitive/uncreative/etc. Not that I expect anyone other than myself to notice. Oh well.

Juno is lovely. She is in my future, just not with this particular button.

Hank is one amazing little guy. I'd give him money too. Please don't tell him that.

Who cares how much grey yarn you have? Horde it well!

Posted by: pattiblaine at May 14, 2007 6:10 PM

I must say, your Juno looks delightful! I wasn't impressed when I saw the pattern, the collar looked huge and unflattering to anyone, but with your modifications, it looks great!

Posted by: Ana at May 14, 2007 6:12 PM

WOW!!! Hank should shoot all your publicity pictures- you look SO SKINNY! And great and young and.....wish he could take mY pictures-my husband's of me always make my look like a 4-eyed dork
Mary

Posted by: Mary Eckstein at May 14, 2007 6:38 PM

First I must say from my own personal experience the most painful thing to step on is a Star Wars Lego. Imagine that Lightsaber smaller, pointier, and attached to a Lego. OUch!!!

Second, you're not alone in trying to explain the 80's to the next gen. I can't understand how two boys who run around singing "We Will Rock You" and "Electric Avenue" and "Melt With You" think the 80's are weird.

Posted by: Celtic Queen at May 14, 2007 6:38 PM

My god, that is cute (both the sweater and your nephew)! Especially the "lying" part, which sounds like something a certain partner of mine would say... he knows who he is.

There's hope for my generation on the David Bowie thing. I happen to quite like Mr.Bowie, and think he was kind of cute in the 80's, and I'm 16. Don't give up hope yet!

Again, fabulous sweater, and you look quite pretty in the last shot Hank took. :)

Posted by: Ryn at May 14, 2007 6:39 PM

Is it really just four extra rows ( that's the way at least I understand it....) before the collar decrease ?
If there is more to it, could you please explain a little bit.....and since I only have your pictures and those from the other blog do you think Donegal Tweed or Lavold's " Silky Wool " would work ?
I know it's kind of a personal decision...but I am completely out of the heavier yarn loop living in a tropical climate and the yarn mentioned I have in my stash suitcase under the bed......I know, it's pittyful...my stash fits in a suitcase. Well, a big old Samsonite.......
But I can't help it, I want this jacket for the 10-15 cold days we have a year.......I also have Rowan's black " Denim "....how would cotton knit up ?
I would appreciate opinions from anyone who would care to write or opinionate ....please !
Because I will have to order the whole Rowan book #40 for just one pattern and maybe the " Organic Bag " and wait forever, since the mail from the US to Mexico is s-l-o-o-o-w..... and would like an idea in regard to the yarn I already have......
I would be very happy to just have to wait for the book and not also for yarn....

Thanks Stephanie, thanks all.....

Angelika
Mexico City

Posted by: Angelika at May 14, 2007 6:42 PM

Since you assure me it's grey, I'm forced to believe you, even though on this monitor it's precisely my shade of blue. I secretly suspect you dinked with the digital to forestall my driving north to claim it as my right, but never fear -- until I manage a 37-inch chest (sigh) it's safe. Lovely, but safe.

Compliments having been dispensed, I join with Presbytera in noting an abundance of grey gansey yarn around the house. The cold winds of August can't be far off...

Posted by: rams at May 14, 2007 6:47 PM

Perhaps even more painful than explaining Bowie to a seven-year old is when the girl at the liquor store checkout says dismissively (when you've just told her that no, the Backstreet Boys were a 90s band, not an 80s band) "oh, well I was only five then" -- she had a good 15 years on the Hankster!

Or the girl at Canadian Tire who thought Supertramp was a song by ABBA. I feel your pain.

Posted by: Taz at May 14, 2007 6:48 PM

Even my 4 year-old thought that last pic was 'pretty cute, and he was nice to get those pretty daisies.'

Kids.

Posted by: Peggy at May 14, 2007 6:52 PM

What a sweetie!

Posted by: The Purloined Letter at May 14, 2007 6:58 PM

Careful, my stepmom broke her foot steping on a little plastic toy whilst babysitting my children.
Juno looks really fabulous, and great photoshoot.

Posted by: Sasha at May 14, 2007 7:28 PM

Loved your post. My Husband and six year-old son, Forrest, were glued to the screen at the sight of Chewbaca (practically a family member here). I absolutely love Juno...you look awesome in it.

Posted by: April in Texas at May 14, 2007 7:47 PM

I must say, looks beautiful on you! And you were worried about the hugeness of the collar...actually, so was I, but I think you've changed my mind about it!

If only I could bust out sweaters that fast...

Posted by: AnaMarie at May 14, 2007 7:55 PM

Yeah...seven year olds...gotta love em! I teach that age at Sunday school, so I totally understand what they're like. Anyway, Hank took some wonderful pics, and he looks so sweet!

Posted by: Shelley at May 14, 2007 7:55 PM

I think that Hank could stand in as a photographer and commentator anytime!
Love your sweater. You look very stunning.
One question (the usual "one question"): do you always sew on the buttons with sewing thread rather than the yarn used for the sweater?

Posted by: Karin at May 14, 2007 7:56 PM

I love the photo where Hank wanted you "lower" -- I think he was going for the cleavage shot!

Posted by: Sue at May 14, 2007 7:56 PM

Wow! You look great! Svelte and pretty. I'm sure the new sweater did the pretty part. The photographer did the svelte part.

Posted by: D2wms at May 14, 2007 8:07 PM

I love the Hank posts. hehe

Gorgeous FO!

Posted by: frecklegirl jess at May 14, 2007 8:24 PM

This is my favorite blog entry ever. I love Juno. She is beautiful! And your nephew is a doll!

Posted by: Melissa at May 14, 2007 8:27 PM

I LOVE that sweater. I want that sweater. I wish I was that talented...

Posted by: Kristina at May 14, 2007 8:36 PM

Nothing can make you feel so old as hanging out with one so young.

Posted by: Diane at May 14, 2007 8:47 PM

My husband was a HUUUUUGE Electric Light Orchestra fan back in the day. He recently acquired an "ELO" tee-shirt. You can sympathize with how heartbroken he feels when little twenty-something twits ask him what his tee-shirt says!

Also, I can assure you that 38-year-old feet probably learn to Dance Dance Revolution faster than 48-year-old feet! It's like playing twister set to music, and untangling a bad knitting mistake is probably easier!

keep on purlin'!

Posted by: pamela at May 14, 2007 8:53 PM

The "scary" shot is my personal favorite. Seven year old boys are all kinds of interesting, aren't they?

Posted by: Kathy at May 14, 2007 9:01 PM

Tell Hank he did an amazing job taking the photos. I've been trying for months and I haven't managed a close-up anything like as good as Hank's shot of that button band. Really impressed.

Juno looks wonderful! I hope you love wearing it, it is a masterpiece.

And by the way, I don't think 'pretty' is a strong enough word for what kind of good-looking you are. :-)

Posted by: Rachel at May 14, 2007 9:06 PM

I love Hank stories!

Posted by: Anne-Caroline at May 14, 2007 9:11 PM

Seriously nice work on Juno. She looks fantabulous on you! Sounds like you had a great time with your nephew. He's such a cutie!

Posted by: Meredith at May 14, 2007 9:19 PM

the sweater is YOU! it is stunning! i too had admired but am in serious love with the modified version! stories like hank's make me think mabe there are other kids as cute as my 4, ages 3-7. gosh, out of the mouths of babes!
knitting golfer and str clubber

Posted by: marcy at May 14, 2007 9:22 PM

I hate to say this, but Juno shows off best in the "Scary" picture. It's lovely.

Posted by: Denise at May 14, 2007 9:38 PM

Love the sweater!!! What a cute boy! He is going to be a great photographer!

Posted by: Steph at May 14, 2007 9:51 PM

LOVE the sweater! gorgeous! Your nephew great promise at photography!! He did a great job! Maybe it's just cause the sweater is so nice!

Hop eyou had a fun weekend!

Posted by: Michelle at May 14, 2007 9:53 PM

"Try to look pretty!" That's right up there with, "If you were a girl. . . . " His pics are quite nice though--very original use of light and composition. The Skacel people should have had him shoot the "angry poncho chick" you see in all the knitting mags.

The sweater is awesome very becoming with the modifications

Posted by: Mea at May 14, 2007 9:57 PM

Aww, Hank's a doll. The sweater is beautiful and your modeling shots are great fun. You should have more pictures of yourself in the blog. Hank must be your official photographer.

Posted by: Liz at May 14, 2007 10:12 PM

he is adorable.
and as for the 80s. I was born late in the era, but i have a deep love and affection for the muical rock god that is David Bowie. Hell, part of my research for a recent college theatre project was watching Ziggy Sardust and looking at amazinf glam rock icons. i was crushed when people didn't know who David Bowie was. I think this needs to be changed... up for educating the youthful masses about Bowie? (i may be 20, but i love me my bowie)

lovely sweater, too.
Happy knitting!

Posted by: Amanda at May 14, 2007 10:14 PM

What a cute nephew! Very cute indeed.

The Juno sweater looks great. I think you look fab in all the pictures. Hank did a great job! :)

Posted by: AJ at May 14, 2007 10:40 PM

Oh Hank, what a fantastic photo shoot, and thank you for keeping Auntie Pearl on the up and up. We knew she was hiding more yarn somewhere.
*sigh* Look at that face.

Posted by: Tracey at May 14, 2007 11:03 PM

Enough about pulling the light saber out of your foot - You didn't bleed on any handknit socks, did you?!

Posted by: karrie at May 14, 2007 11:13 PM

It looks wonderful. I'm a particular fan of the looking scary shot.

Posted by: Christy / Not Hip at May 14, 2007 11:21 PM

What a lovely young man... and watch out for those lego mask crabby thingies...they're also quite painful and bad for the fleshy part of anything... (So basically, you're lying to these people...still laughing...)

Posted by: shanny mac at May 14, 2007 11:21 PM

QUIDK! Hank! Look in the bottom of the piano! You have no clue about the amount of yarn there is left. What a cool Aunt you have. Lucky guy!! My little boy left those star wars pieces out to be stepped on when he was 5 or 6. He's 31 now, has a three old and pays for his raising every day!

Posted by: Susie at May 14, 2007 11:32 PM

Your sweater is absolutely beautiful! Good job. You got it done so quick too! Yay. Your nephew is very cute, I remember when mine were that little. Now they're old, but still fun!!

Posted by: Nance at May 14, 2007 11:40 PM

Juno is stunning. Absolutely gorgeous.

I cracked up at the photoshoot. I recently did something similar with my second grade students. Being a teacher of kids Hank's age gives you a whole new sense of humility and a new perspective on what you look like to the world... ha!

Posted by: Karma at May 15, 2007 12:04 AM

Perspective is everything. I sincerely appreciate Hank's point of view. You and your sweater are lovely in all contexts -- scary, squatting, running or pretty... I think the intention of Hank's artitstry was to show that you and your beautiful sweater transcend these modes.
(or something)

Posted by: miss ewe at May 15, 2007 12:20 AM

I always enjoy a good Hank story!
I have five children and the absolute most evil toy to step on is the Barbie hairbrush.

Posted by: Kara at May 15, 2007 12:25 AM

Gorgeous sweater! I love it. I love cables. And I've had knitterly photo shoots with a four year old. Thank heavens for digital cameras, that's all I can say!

Posted by: LauraA at May 15, 2007 1:33 AM

Hats off to Hank for creative 'action' photography. go Hank!
oh.. and that sweater, it's gorgeous. and the model.. well, tell Hank she looks beautiful in it, even when she's not 'trying'.
four stars Stephanie!

as far as explaining 80's music. he'll never get it... sigh... try telling kids about the 60's. they think I'm ready for the grave! (heh heh)

Posted by: Teyani at May 15, 2007 1:41 AM

That's darling.

I taught DDR to my cousins last Christmas and they picked it up much faster than my older relatives, mostly because my older relatives practised by doing the dishes and listening to the CBC.

Posted by: Eve at May 15, 2007 2:16 AM

That is one gorgeous sweater.

Posted by: √úhltje at May 15, 2007 2:47 AM

Brill Sweater!! I'm a bit of a cable nut, so I love the collar. As for explaining 80's music to anyone . . . you are a braver woman than I! By only the light of the moon, some years ago, I ditched my incriminating vinyl into the trash. No-one need ever know that I loved Duran Duran and thought A Flock of Seagulls cool!

Posted by: Caro at May 15, 2007 5:42 AM

LOL what a character. Give that boy a camera of his own hehehe.

Posted by: Amanda at May 15, 2007 5:55 AM

Priceless.

Posted by: Rochelle at May 15, 2007 6:17 AM

Photographers beware, Hank will soon swipe your jobs.

Posted by: Julie at May 15, 2007 6:58 AM

What a cool kid. I really enjoyed his set-ups for the photos . . . and their toys are deadly . . . when it is dark, my DH walks through the living room doing the "zombie shuffle" to make sure that he doesn't step on anything that our 6 year old left out.

The sweater is totally awesome.

Posted by: Mary Lynn in Cleveland at May 15, 2007 7:36 AM

Yay, more Hank! I have a son that age and your adventures with him always make all mushy. Also, the 80's thing: while I am only nearing the ripe old age of 29, I have had this happen to me also.At work one day we were talking about boyfriends and husbands and how they looked when we met them. I mentioned that my husband bore a strong resemblance to Billy Idol when we met ( back in the olden days). This fresh faced, adorable 18 year old girl just looked at me and asked " Who is Billy Idol?"

Posted by: Heather in Va. at May 15, 2007 7:50 AM

juno is gorgeous. thanks for the photo shoot, hank!! (and what exactly is dance dance revolution anyhow??) intrigued,

Posted by: kelli ann at May 15, 2007 8:42 AM

My son Gage whom is five is a big Hank fan. Ever since he saw the spiderman mittens you knit him one Christmas...Gage wanted to print the photo and show his friends the cool boy on mommies computer. So my son will be thrilled to see the Hankster blog this afternoon. haha. He will likely remind me that I promised to make him similar spider mittens. Your sweater is gorgeous and happy Mother's Day by the way.

Posted by: Aline at May 15, 2007 8:53 AM

I know the EXACT tone of voice used for the "Try to be pretty" direction. My own 7yo son uses it all the time. It's like living with a really short teenager. And when 7yo is at school, the 4yo feels the need to pick up the slack.
I have learned to walk through my house wearing giant timber-soled leather clogs, so anything I step on, from Legos to Star Wars guys to other people's feet will be crushed to jelly under my juggernaut progress. Not surprisingly, they pick up their toys rather than leave them to be broken!
Loving Juno, she is stunning. I won't say I'm putting her on my list, as I have MANY socks to knit in the immediate future, but she may come back to haunt me one day.

Posted by: Kate at May 15, 2007 8:59 AM

Ah, Stephanie, you are the coolest lady I know and you never fail to make me smile.

Posted by: Kate L at May 15, 2007 9:05 AM

Hank will begin to appreciate Bowie et al only after it has been electronically altered and sampled nearly beyond recognition by a recent artist who's name consists of an unlikely combination of dipthongs. And then he will refuse to acknowledge that it is a remake. And will roll his eyes at you.

Posted by: Lynneski at May 15, 2007 9:33 AM

LOVE the running picture - very "Bionic Woman" (was this fantastic example of 1970's-style American televison genius exported to Canada?)

ps: Your sweater is gorgeous. Seriously. Gorgeous.

Posted by: dennis's mommy at May 15, 2007 9:41 AM

This made me think of you: http://www.aaronleighton.com/work/an_alphabetical_listing_of_canadian_superheroes

Posted by: Nori at May 15, 2007 9:45 AM

I'm laughing out loud. I agree that I thought legos were the worst possible toy to step on, but Star Wars toys run a close second.

Adorable nephew -- I loved the photo shoot! "Try and look pretty." HA!

Posted by: Twyla at May 15, 2007 9:49 AM

mmm...I'm thinkin' farm animals. And zoo animals omg. I stepped on one rhino too many the other day. I saw stars..hehe. I upended my 6 yr old and 8 yr old (who were both cacking themselves laughing...)and armed with a huge roll of packing tape I taped (I'm talkin' round 'n' round 'n' round) a dinosaur and a cow to the bottom of their feet and ran off. hehehe

Posted by: Ruth at May 15, 2007 10:27 AM

I love, love, love that photo shoot - what great visuals. My husband took to giving our six-year old the camera at a very young age (probably two and a half) just let her snap photos, what started as many floor photos morphed into object shots. My fave was her "bottoms" series. World seen through a child's eyes sort of thing. What a wonderful way to showcase the lovely Juno!

Posted by: Sonya at May 15, 2007 10:56 AM

"So you're lying to these people?" Classic! Out of the mouths of babes ;)

And I do think that all future sweater shoots should be organized by Hank, he did a marvelous job! And you did a great job with the knitting, the sweater looks great!

Posted by: Adam at May 15, 2007 11:53 AM

Excellent post. I guffawed. Juno there is gorgeous, and Hank is handsome.

Posted by: Kristen at May 15, 2007 12:11 PM

Happy Birthday Hank! You did a great job with the photos!

Stephanie - you're just not scary. Maybe if you wore a pink punk wig and put rings in various body parts... but... no. See you at Webs on May 30!

Posted by: Nancy at May 15, 2007 12:28 PM

Hooray for the Hankster; are we looking at your new official photographer?

Posted by: Susanna in Seattle at May 15, 2007 12:31 PM

I must comment that your hair looks fabulous in this photo shoot.

Posted by: fawn pea at May 15, 2007 12:44 PM

Hey, try explaining the 60's to your grand-kids! Hank sounds fabulous, btw. And the sweater is just beautiful. So are you!

Posted by: Knitting Granny at May 15, 2007 1:26 PM

I don't know why I even bother adding my comments to the other 278, but here goes:

I love the action shots only slightly less than the sweater you're modelling. Nicely done!

And your anecdotes about Hank? They make me smile and laugh.

Posted by: doulicia at May 15, 2007 1:42 PM

Hank has just charmed me to pieces.

Posted by: Sachi at May 15, 2007 1:49 PM

#3 & #4 (yarn + Bowie) ROFL!!
I think I adore your son.
And the sweater -- mucho lovely!

Posted by: beanmama at May 15, 2007 2:14 PM

Congratulations! That sweater looks fantastic on you.

Posted by: BigAlice at May 15, 2007 2:16 PM

Ok, so 238 other people (or so) have said it all before me, but still:

1. So much for short people not looking fantastic in Juno. Both of you look great!
2. You're right about photo shoots and 7 year old boys. Not only good visuals of the sweater, but the model too. I suggest you immediately book him for giving seminars to knitting magazine photographers - seriously, how many manage to give us that many good views of what we're most interested in?!
3. Re flowers and money - hey; it's just his fee for the photography. ;) A pro at 7; this boy will go far.

Posted by: MonicaPDX at May 15, 2007 2:27 PM

This post is adorable! Your nephew sounds like a hoot!

Posted by: Anth at May 15, 2007 2:45 PM

I work with a girl who didn't know Sir Paul McCartney was ever in a band.

Hank is a cute little boy. and all I can say about the sweater is WOW. Your talent never ceases to amaze me, Rock on.

Posted by: Ginger S. at May 15, 2007 7:09 PM

hilarious post...gorgeous sweater!! one of these days...i'll make one of those (and not for my boyfriend...i know about the curse!).

i lol'd about the star wars figures...i remember my brother's collection in the early 80s...his "star wars guys" and my "glamour gals" were good friends! =)

Posted by: meg at May 15, 2007 10:01 PM

Hank is growing up so fast! Thanks for putting yet another sweater on my must-knit list, I really needed the extra pressure.

Posted by: Becka at May 15, 2007 10:47 PM

Hank is insanely cute. And funny. And wise. I'm in love. And your sweater...amazing.

Posted by: Karen at May 16, 2007 12:01 AM

I was given Yarn Harlot as a birthday gift (50!) and I am laughing out loud on every page. You are a wonderful wit and I can tell that you really do know how to knit (I've met fakers). I'm part of a Stitch 'n Bitch (3rd friday of every month) group in Regina, Sk. We are knitters at all levels (.00 to .08) and have a generally raucous time. Sometimes the Ass't coach of the Roughriders football team (CFL) joins us (we taught him to knit). Keep writing--you're hilarious! I can relate to all the foibles (bin there, darned that).
Heather

Posted by: Heather Hodgson at May 16, 2007 1:37 AM

What, in 100's of comments, no one has yet mentioned the high-heeled (is there any other kind?) Barbie shoe? It embeds in the sole and must be surgically removed.

Posted by: Mary K. in Rockport at May 16, 2007 8:21 AM

Awwww, Hank is really growing! He's getting so big!

It's been a while since I've seen him on your blog....

Posted by: Amy Lu at May 16, 2007 10:28 AM

I need a Wednesday blog entry from Stephanie! I'm having a down day and I need a laugh, big time.

Posted by: Rhonda at May 16, 2007 11:59 AM

Posted by: Rhonda at May 16, 2007 12:00 PM

My son is 4-1/2 and I agreed on the 4-prong lego until I stepped on a power ranger megazord sword. Jason had the same reaction as Hank..."don't hurt my guys." Currently Jason is allowed to take pretend pictures as he isn't careful enough yet for a digital camera. We have similar photo shoots. Kudos to you, the willing model!

Posted by: Tina at May 16, 2007 12:29 PM

Well, as usual, I'm DAYS late in catching up on your blog. Thank goodness the homeschool year is nearly over! Oh, Stephanie - what a HOOT Hank is! *snort* "So...you're lying to these people?" har! He sounds JUST like my son did when he was that age, (now 13). Speaking of whom (he was reading your blog with me just now) and HE said, "Well, the sweater's okay, but SHE is MUCH prettier!" My goodness...! Jon is very much unaware of girls yet (I'm sure *that* won't be lasting much longer), so for him to pay a compliment like that to a 'mere girl' is amazing :-). Everyone should have a young fella in their keeping, just for lessons in humility and snorting-various-liquids-through-the-nose occasions. Thankfully, I'd already swallowed my coffee before I read *that* bit :-) Knit on!

Posted by: The Socknut at May 16, 2007 1:20 PM

The photo shoot looks great. Auntie Harlot looks great "running" love it! David Bowie doen't look stupid and the 80's are a hard time to tell anyone about unless you where there (I was small but I remember, you know back when Prince was still Prince?) Also something that hurts even more then Star Wars guys are little green Army men. And what a good boy to get him mama Flowers. I got two great cards, one telling my favorite food is Broccoli and Carrots. And the other "loves me long time" (daddy talked to him about how that is just something daddy gets to tell mommy and it is just a joke)

Posted by: Beth K at May 16, 2007 6:15 PM

Beautiful sweater and great photo shoot. Is Hank available to shoot my projects any time soon?

Posted by: Janice at May 16, 2007 7:50 PM

You are obviously the 'cool' aunt. My sister swears that's tons better than being the 'mom'.

And in your "pretty" picture, I cannot get over how much you look like my future daughter in law! When I first saw that picture for a split second my brain went, "What's Katie doing on the Harlot's blog??" I love K to bits, so that's a good thing, though just a bit disconcerting (for us both, I'm sure1)

Posted by: karla (threadbndr) at May 16, 2007 8:27 PM

And in your "pretty" picture, I cannot get over how much you look like my future daughter in law! When I first saw that picture for a split second my brain went, "What's Katie doing on the Harlot's blog??" I love K to bits, so that's a good thing, though just a bit disconcerting (for us both, I'm sure!)

Posted by: karla (threadbndr) at May 16, 2007 8:28 PM

Very sweet story about Hank. Juno turned out fantastic!

Posted by: beth at May 18, 2007 5:57 PM

What a wonderful post!!! Aren't boys a breath of fresh air??? I've got 4 of them, (and 1 girl). Here's something else to make you feel old: The absolute look of disbelief when you tell them that you listened to Led and AC/DC when you were their age. Or their inability to grasp that The Tubes and the Cure were around before they were even a twinkle in their mother's eye....

Posted by: Kim at May 18, 2007 10:34 PM

Out of the mouths of babes.....

Beautiful sweater by the way. It looks awesome on you.

Posted by: Tiffany at May 19, 2007 12:29 AM

What a fantastic post!
I love Hank's photo series of Juno - and yep, people who are around young children need to be pretty self assured or have thick skin!

{one of our 5 yr olds at work told me he knew 3 Michelle's - Kid Michelle, Not-Fat Michelle and me!}

Juno is fabulous btw.

Posted by: Miss Scarlett at May 19, 2007 12:58 AM

Dude, Hank has the best part of the 80s down: the kid is playing with STAR WARS figurines. Am I the only one whose heart leapt on reading that (but not that it was lodged in your footie, Stephanie! Ouchie.)?

Juno is a triumph! That collar. Wow.

Posted by: Amy at May 19, 2007 12:53 PM

Try explaining the 60's to a 9-year-old!

Posted by: pip at May 20, 2007 9:47 PM

As the mother of a seven year old boy, I can concur that you learned some very important lessons during Hank's visit and they are all accurate. If you think Dance Dance Revolution is tough against a 7 year old, don't try playing Wii Tennis against him. It's amazing how good they are! The sweater looks fantastic and I love the "scary" picture. Oh, I tried explaining television watching to my little guy in the days before TiVo. He wondered how I managed to live "back then."

Posted by: Irish Clover at May 31, 2007 11:56 AM

dhtgifmo txnf baje kdepauvh pbewixs sdapuirvg vmwqdtjag

Posted by: xtshdo oqfzgvk at June 5, 2007 5:29 PM

zdrt luazfdqvn swri glscihvy dhajobpw cbyzmkasp rwks http://www.acfrhbx.agwlyc.com

Posted by: qygvl cvrexmkt at June 5, 2007 5:30 PM

hymufikla kwuqs twxrudjc hzirqaswu mncweh aespbfc xkqs ovjdhukf zrshf

Posted by: lqvie fpkciwhml at June 5, 2007 5:31 PM

ydkghrvn ditfbkw hcvqoidz gslkdzyre apcgtx yeox zisn [URL]http://www.edozuvac.somvgre.com[/URL] cvyu tpxmc

Posted by: gidl tzwkp at June 5, 2007 5:33 PM