July 20, 2012

For the Non-Knitters

One of the big challenges of the bike rally is the fundraising.  Thanks to peculiar and wonderful characteristics of knitters, our little family team has done very, very well in this regard. (Thank you very much, a thousand times, thank you.) For the kids, this fundraising can be really, really tricky.  When you're young, most of the people you know are young, and the young are notoriously poor. (Or, they are as poor as their parents let them be, which is, in this family, pretty poor.  We think poverty supports a work ethic in the young.) The girls have done their level best to fundraise, knowing (because we have told them) that they are responsible to do the best they can - no matter what.  Recently, Sam took this message to heart.

She and I were in a yarn shop, and Sam was behaving the way most teenaged girls do when they're asked to take part in their mother's activities, which is to say that mostly, she was rolling her eyes, sighing loudly and tolerating me in only the minimum way necessary.  I was picking yarn for Flow and Lizette, and I was saying things like "Do you like the brick? Maybe the green.. is this a good green?" and Sam was saying things like "The brick is fine. The green is great. Get it and let's go" and I wasn't being rushed.  (My reasoning is that I didn't rush weaning her, and she can not rush me in a yarn shop as compensation.) I was puttering along, and she wandered off.  I picked my yarn, and then scurried around to find her.

Find her I did, standing in front of a stand of novelty yarn.  She was fingering a few interesting scarves, and she had that look about her.  Sometimes there are people who ask me if my kids knit.  The answer is that all of them know how (they are my girls, after all) but that only one of them knits for fun, and that would be Megan. Amanda and Sam only knit to please me, or to score points. Sam spins from time to time, and Amanda knits when she thinks it would improve our relationship, but never before have I seen Samantha stand in front of yarn and look at it like it might be fun.  That's what I saw that day.  Novelty yarns can be a gateway drug for some recalcitrant knitters, and that's what I saw in Sam's face. That if knitting was socks, and hats and sweaters - she wasn't interested, but if knitting was all this fun stuff?  She ran her hands down several ruffle scarves.

"Is this knitting?" she asked.
"Yup" I replied, being careful not to display enthusiasm.  (Enthusiasm only puts teens off.  They can't know you're in favour of their ideas. Takes the shine right off it.)
"Could I do it?" She queried.
"Yup" I said, again, appearing disinterested in every way.
"If I got this, could I knit it into a scarf for a Rally fundraiser?"
"You bet" I said, and I took a slow, deep breath.  Caution was needed here.  If Sam sensed that I approved, then all could be lost.  I decided to apply maternal reverse pressure.  "It's pretty expensive yarn." I said,  "I don't know if I can buy that for you."  That worked.  There is nothing more delicious to the psyche of a teenaged girl than the idea of driving their parents into the poorhouse, and me shying from a pricetag made the genesis of the idea take flight within her.
"Please?" she said.
"I suppose." I said, and my heart leapt, but I covered it.  We travelled home, and Sam asked for needles, and for information on how to knit this ruffle yarn.  I didn't help her.  I did loan her needles, but I suggested that she look the rest of the info up on the internet.  (You don't want to get in a girls business like that. Better to let her own it.)

She did look it up, and I promptly looked the other way, resisting the urge to be helpful in any way.  (This is a hard thing about mothering for me.)

"Mum, how many stitches do I cast on?"
"I don't know Sam.  You decide."
"Mum, should I use it all? How long is long enough?"
"I don't know Sam.  You decide."

She did decide, and lo.  The child has knit.

The end product is a beautiful long scarf, out of the spectacular gateway yarn of her choice, and Sam's offering it up here for anyone who wants it - preference given to those who can't make it themselves.

It has all the frustration, glee and delight that an 18 year old committed to fundraising can put into it, and here's how the fundraiser will work (according to Sam.)  If you want it, you can email me at stephanieATyarnharlotDOTca (replacing the AT with @ and the DOT with .) and tell me how much you would like to pay for it.  The highest bidder wins, and I'll email that person and tell them they're in.  That person will then make a donation for that amount to Sam's fundraising page, and Sam will pack up the scarf, and mail it to that person.

(That look is "Blue Steel" in case there's any Zoolander fans out there. Sam's career as a model is still developing.)

I'll be the one looking at the amounts and making the call, because Sam's a kid, and really just practicing knitting, and the amount non-knitters (or maybe knitters) think her work is worth should maybe, probably be something that her Mum knows, and not totally her. (Experienced knitters know we're undervalued as artists, but maybe not the new kids.)

I'm feeling proud of her tonight.  It's hard to fundraise as a kid, and really, how do we even talk about the awesome that is a teenager looking out for others? This is supposed to be the most self-centred time of her life... the time she has the most difficulty seeing the needs of others, and if this is what being a teen looks like on her? Taking part in a 660km rally for the People with AIDS foundation?

She's going to be amazing.

Bid away. Feel free to leave comments about the compelling nature of her work, but all bids for the scarf should come in email.  (StephanieATyarnharlotDOTca)

Thanks friends.

Posted by Stephanie at July 20, 2012 5:03 PM
Comments

I'm much more of a sock and sweater knitter; that novelty yarn frustrates the heck out of me. That said, I admire Sam's creativity and the beautiful scarf - and the persistance that kept her working with that tricky stuff!

Beautiful girl, gorgeous scarf!

Good luck with your fundraising. I'm sure you'll get loads of bids.

Posted by: Susan at July 20, 2012 5:08 PM

Yarn? Pattern? Gorgeous!

Posted by: Tina at July 20, 2012 5:12 PM

As the mother of 2 preteens I stare in awe of anyone on the other side who has come out battle hardened yet still in love with their children. If I can raise 2 girls with compassion and determination I will have done my job well. I may need lots of bandages (wine) for the battle scars but that's ok.
Well done Sam. Well done Sam's mum.

Posted by: Claire at July 20, 2012 5:13 PM

Holy cow. I think she's awesome just because she tackled novelty yarn. I know she's a teenager and you can't hug her outright....but maybe a few times in your mind.

Posted by: Amanda at July 20, 2012 5:18 PM

I am sooo proud of Sam!! Best wishes in your fundraising and the bike ride!! You are awesome!!

Posted by: Marcia at July 20, 2012 5:19 PM

It's beautiful! I would love to know the yarn & pattern.

Posted by: Crystal at July 20, 2012 5:23 PM

Wow, I can see why any teen (and a large majority of young-at-heart adults like me) would be attracted to that yarn! What a show-stopping scarf! It looks like the animals and plants that grow in a tidal pool or on a reef.

Posted by: Sarah TX at July 20, 2012 5:24 PM

Good on her! Good on YOU for raising her! 660km is crazycrazytalk, but she's young. :)

Posted by: yarnivore at July 20, 2012 5:25 PM

This is heartwarming! I'm a broke 20-something, so I know the feeling. Love to your family for being so generous with your time & talent.

Posted by: Lauren at July 20, 2012 5:25 PM

I love the colours. Good job not getting excited until it's all done. But you've had lots of experience.

Posted by: Juliet in Grand Rapids at July 20, 2012 5:27 PM

"My reasoning is that I didn't rush weaning her, and she can not rush me in a yarn shop as compensation." This? Using this for the rest of my life. Another pro for baby led weaning!

Posted by: Holly at July 20, 2012 5:27 PM

Novelty yarn was my gateway drug. My mom started knitting when she was pregnant with me, and naturally wanted to pass on the skill. I learned, but resisted all attempts to indoctrinate me. My mantra was "My Mommy can make it if I want it". Then... at about age 23, the furry novelty scarves were in full swing. I knit a couple. Then moved on to afghans incorperating some novelty yarns, and maybe a felted hedgehog or two.. I'm now 32 and have 24 pattern of my own design on ravelry.... most of them lacework and Mom and I have an indie yarn company. My Mom couldn't be more smug... though she tries to hide it.

Posted by: Valerie at July 20, 2012 5:28 PM

Any chance you'll tell us what the yarn is?! It's GORGEOUS! Way to go Sam! :D

Posted by: Sarah V. at July 20, 2012 5:29 PM

I love it! She did a great job and I hope it raises a ridiculous amount of $$!

(seriously, I am a fair isle and cables and traditional with bells on knitter, who hates novelty yarn, and I am actually tempted to make one like that.)

Posted by: woolcat at July 20, 2012 5:30 PM

I do not like novelty yarn. But I love that scarf!! Way to go, Sam!

Posted by: ElizabethD at July 20, 2012 5:31 PM

Ata girl Sam! Love the colour choice! Any future knitting plans? You've got some stiff competition if you want to start blogging about your new found creative outlet. :-)

Posted by: Lynn B at July 20, 2012 5:31 PM

Oooooer. I love that scarf.

Posted by: Dawn at July 20, 2012 5:31 PM

Oh, you are the Yoda of moms of teens. The Force is strong in you. Love the idea of making them be patient because of all those hours nursing and not hurrying weaning. (Been there, done that, wish I could go back some days.) Excellent scarf, Sam. I'm with woolcat in my avoidance of novelty yarn but that's tempting. Is it soft? That'd be the tipping point for me.

Posted by: Barbara at July 20, 2012 5:42 PM

This is awesome. The scarf totally rocks, and I can't wait to hear how it does as a fundraiser. Btw, what does Sam think of this post? ;o) lol

Posted by: Annalea at July 20, 2012 5:46 PM

Well done, well done indeed. The scarf is nice and jazzy, quite stylish.

For those of us who would like to donate in support of this burgeoning knitter, but aren't the high bidder, perhaps Sam could write up her pattern and offer it for sale with all proceeds going to the cause?

Posted by: twinsetellen at July 20, 2012 5:51 PM

Yay Sam! Hope it's not condescending of me to say I'm proud of you...

Alternatively, sending electronic fist-bumps your way.

Posted by: Presbytera at July 20, 2012 5:52 PM

I, too, am not a novelty yarn knitter, but Sam has awesome taste. That stuff is COOL!

Posted by: Alyson at July 20, 2012 5:57 PM

it looks like something that grew in the magic forest for the fairies to make party dresses. how pretty, and what an awesome undertaking for Sam...well done.
and Steph.....you were so right, no sudden moves.

Posted by: Margaret at July 20, 2012 5:59 PM

You know, I don't normally go in for novelty yarns, but tht one is SUPER PRETTY! Please share what it is!

Posted by: Katie Lynn at July 20, 2012 6:02 PM

Way to go, Sam!!!! I hope people bid HUGE!!

Posted by: Cherril aka Nicewitch at July 20, 2012 6:03 PM

I'm not normally one for novelty yarn but that is wonderful! Yay Sam.
And good luck to everyone in the Rally. May your seats remain soft, the hills easy, and the weather friendly.

Posted by: Sybil at July 20, 2012 6:07 PM

I love this, my oldest is my 14 yo daughter and man do need to just file away all these for future reference. that's awesome that you were able to hold back and not squee with excitement that she wanted yarn, and then you were still able to reel yourself in when she asked for help! that's the hardest part for me - keeping my own business. way to go mom! and what a spectacular girl you have raised. now I'm off to try to track down some of that yarn, never tried it before but now I think I have to get some.

Posted by: kimber at July 20, 2012 6:22 PM

wow! such a pretty scarf.I have two teenage boys, but my mini me is 4, and she already acts like a teenager!

Posted by: jennifer at July 20, 2012 6:32 PM

Fantastic job! On both the scarf and the kid. Hope she raises a ton of money. Maybe even enough to ease the discomfort of that bike saddle over several days.

Posted by: Robby at July 20, 2012 6:35 PM

That's incredible! not only that she's already doing the ride, but she wants to do something like this to raise money? Surely have her write up the pattern for us, and see what happens... (I've already donated)

Posted by: cls at July 20, 2012 6:39 PM

Breathes... what a lovely job Sam did on this. Novelty yarn is extraordinarily difficult to work so I'm doubly impressed. May the bids flow fast and high, Sam! you deserve it!

Posted by: Carla at July 20, 2012 6:42 PM

So beautiful: the pride, the success, Sam, generosity, the scarf. Well done!

Posted by: AlisonH at July 20, 2012 6:44 PM

Dude, that scarf is awesome! makes me want to tackle novelty yarn!

Posted by: Mallory at July 20, 2012 6:46 PM

I am so impressed with Sam's work ethic and dedication to the cause. I hope the scarf goes for big $$$. Way to go Sam!

Posted by: KellyH at July 20, 2012 6:56 PM

I have to practice the deadpan look and minimal enthusiasm with which you operated. It paid off royally.

Posted by: Suzanne at July 20, 2012 7:07 PM

Beautiful scarf, and very impressive for a more-or-less beginner. That should raise a nice piece of change for the Rally.

I have to say, though, that teenagers who go to a lot of trouble for others are not that hard to find. Most churches are dripping with them. Kids can be selfish, but they can also be incredibly self-giving.

Posted by: Pat at July 20, 2012 7:13 PM

Since I could knit myself a scarf, I left Sam the following message on her pledge page "I just sent you $20(US) because you knit a lovely scarf and made you mum very happy ... but please don't hold it against her"

Posted by: LauraS at July 20, 2012 7:15 PM

Good to know Blue Steel is ready, that was many long years in the making!!

Love the yarn, love the scarf, and although I'm out of work, the kids and I will be cheering your family pack on during the ride.

Posted by: Dagny at July 20, 2012 7:16 PM

If she were to knit another, you could take the top 2 bids! Just a thought.........

Posted by: Jo in Nashville TN at July 20, 2012 7:22 PM

Love the Blue Steel look! I friggin worship you, man!

Posted by: SaraJayney at July 20, 2012 7:33 PM

That is one of the most awesome things I've seen in a long time! You've raised a pretty wonderful person there!

Posted by: Mandy at July 20, 2012 7:34 PM

HAH! I had to laugh! I just played out the same scene in a store in Ireland with my older dd who can crochet, but swears she can't knit. And it was indeed the Ruffle Scarf that drew her in... No, I don't have the time or desire to knit that yarn for you. You can do it, it's only 7 stitches. And she did. With a vengeance. She's now made like 5 of those scarves. I'm just having a hard time finding that yarn in the States.

Posted by: Mamalion at July 20, 2012 7:35 PM

OK, this has put me totally over the edge. I love the scarf but could knit it myself so I'm not bidding - but I can no longer resist going over to the site and making a donation - in spite of all my unusual expenses this year. I can't really afford much but, in the tradition of knitting and fundraising, I know my little stitch will join with all the others for a wonderful finished product. Sam, great job - the idea and the execution of it. Stephanie - good job on the mothering front.

Posted by: Colleen in Kansas at July 20, 2012 7:39 PM

I'm also in the not-usually-a-novelty-yarn-fan club, but Sam has absolutely created a winner. Good on her. Quite frankly, I think either (or perhaps both) the yarn manufacturer and LYS should donate to her as well, since she's doing for this novelty yarn what no amount of static print ads could ever do. ;)

Leave it to her to pick the best gateway yarn drug of the bunch. :)

Posted by: Voie de Vie at July 20, 2012 7:43 PM

Sam did a LOVELY job on that! And if I hadn't already contributed to Erin's ride, I'd bid on that, because my son's girlfriend would love it.

Any way the yarn store would put that up for additional donations? I mean, just a sign and asking for bids?

Posted by: river at July 20, 2012 7:53 PM

Sam, your scarf is awesome! If I were not also a broke twenty-something I'd place a bid. And your Blue Steel is excellent....maybe after this ride you could use it to raise money for the School for Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good, Too. (Oh, Zoolander...)

Posted by: Emily at July 20, 2012 8:29 PM

DANG, Sam! Novelty yarn knitting always leaves me in awe. I've been working on a scarf out of this stuff called Tokyo for a while. I had seen a finished scarf hanging up in my LYS and thought it had that "post-apocolyptic my clothes are beautiful rags" thing that I LOVE and never knew how to classify until your mom posted about it with her stainless steel and wool sweater... I totally forget the name. Anyhow, you've inspired me to yank it out of my project graveyard and give it another go. ^_^ Good job!

Posted by: KathyC at July 20, 2012 8:56 PM

That looks exactly like El Tigre!

Posted by: Jennifer R at July 20, 2012 9:02 PM

I really get that mom feeling when your kids decide on their own to do something you would like them to do.

Posted by: Diane Stein at July 20, 2012 9:04 PM

BLUE STEEL!! Oh sh$#, soon it will be MAGNUM, so watch out. ohmygawd my stomach is hurting from laughing. And such precious wisdom as my firecracker of a daughter approaches her teens. Carefully and steadily, approach the teen with caution. Do not startle the teen. Do not look into its eyes...

Posted by: Melissa-Louise (Ajax, ON) at July 20, 2012 9:08 PM

"resisting the urge to be helpful in any way. (This is a hard thing about mothering for me.)"

This. This is the hardest thing for me about being a mother, and it's imperative for my 19yo son. I've been working on it for 5+ years now - will I ever get it?

Posted by: Buffy Joseph at July 20, 2012 9:24 PM

Isn't it amazing when they grow up like that? I have one who just got her very first, really cool, post university REAL job, and it stuns me with awesome...

Yea, Sam!!!!

Posted by: Aubrey at July 20, 2012 9:40 PM

Novelty yarn is what lured me back to knitting! I am now knitting socks and baby things and shawls and all sorts of wonderful items that involve lace and cables and even fair isle. Never underestimate the power of the novelty yarn. :-)

Posted by: Cathy E at July 20, 2012 9:46 PM

If novelty yarns are a gateway drug, I'm pretty sure that makes you a pusher.

Posted by: katie metzroth at July 20, 2012 9:48 PM

Although it's been said already, great job to daughter and great job to her parents! Way to be!

Posted by: Andrea K at July 20, 2012 9:53 PM

Sam has done a great job with the scarf and a more impressive action by committing to the fund raising and ride. I knit so don't need the scarf so I just visited her pledge page.

Posted by: Flemisa at July 20, 2012 10:12 PM

Although she used a novelty yarn, she used a pretty good-looking one! Much better than some radioactive-green fun fur. . . .

And please pass this along to Sam for the next fund-raiser: A simple, yet elegant, scarf (something appropriate for most teens and adults of both genders) in a rich navy or dark, warm red, using a cashmere or silk blend, might bring a good bit more than a novelty yarn. Watch for yarn sales to get the most bang for your buck and time!

Posted by: Anonymous, too at July 20, 2012 10:30 PM

Having been a rather selfish teenager once, I am thoroughly impressed that she came up with the idea all by herself. Please tell Sam her Blue Steel is dead on!

Posted by: kaahurst at July 20, 2012 10:57 PM

Beautiful scarf, and excellent "blue steel"!

Posted by: Patti Blaine at July 20, 2012 11:16 PM

I note the riders keep raising their fundraising goals. Just when you all reach 100%, up they go again! You and your supporters have raised a whack of money for a very worthy cause. I am not a knitter so have made a bid for the scarf. I would love to earn it, but if someone bids higher, it means the cause gets more. But I would be sad so I have my fingers crossed. Trish

Posted by: Trish at July 20, 2012 11:26 PM

I always turn up my nose at novelty yarn, but I have to admit that that is very cute! And maybe if I made one for my 16 year old niece, she might even wear it. What kind of yarn is it? (And good luck with your auction, Sam!)

Posted by: janna at July 20, 2012 11:31 PM

Yup! Sam's certainly an amazing kid. Great job Steph!

Posted by: Kelly K. at July 20, 2012 11:59 PM

Congratulations to Sam. (and Steph, as well) Well done and good job. Great idea!

Posted by: ajga at July 21, 2012 12:08 AM

I've been tempted to buy that yarn a few times (or ones like it) over the past few years, but I keep putting it aside. It just doesn't look as fun to knit as wool socks.

That said, I'll probably put in a bid and send the email, because while I could knit it, I won't knit it and that is good enough for me!

Posted by: Seanna Lea at July 21, 2012 12:22 AM

What yarn is that???

Posted by: jen at July 21, 2012 12:55 AM

What a beautiful girl with a beautiful heart!

Posted by: Kathrin at July 21, 2012 1:24 AM

I can knit with some novelty yarns. The thick-and-thin stuff, the eyelash stuff, fun fur and the like. But I can not wrap my head around trying to knit with that ruffle-netting yarn. I just don't get it. I'm thinking that now I'll have to try sometime, that scarf does look really great.

Posted by: Kitsune at July 21, 2012 4:39 AM

Only one thing wrong with your post, Stephanie. You said, "She's going to be amazing" which is wrong. She already is amazing. Fantastic job (to you both).

Posted by: Heather at July 21, 2012 7:16 AM

Hello take a look at our blog site also. I hope i have awesome goods also.

Posted by: joyc skyrock at July 21, 2012 7:24 AM

You rock, Sam!

Posted by: Amy at July 21, 2012 7:47 AM

Nice. The whole darn thing, start to finish, is really, really nice. You and Joe really have raised amazing kids.

Posted by: Sally at Rivendale Farms at July 21, 2012 8:34 AM

You have terrific kids. Kudos to all.

Posted by: nlp at July 21, 2012 9:19 AM

Gotta love reverse psychology. Sam has made a beautiful scarf.

Posted by: Sue at July 21, 2012 9:21 AM

My 11 year old great granddaughter could not "get" crochet but when she saw me, my daughter, and my grandddaughter knitting, she wanted to try. After one week, she was knitting a lace scarf. She got the ruffle yarn and in a matter of 2 weeks, made and sold enough scarves to buy her own I-phone. Do you have any idea what those things cost?

Posted by: Sherry in Idaho at July 21, 2012 9:37 AM

That's great! My daughter wanted me to teach her to crochet but she (at age 5) got bored quick. I love the idea of this project... maybe I can teach her to knit now that she's almost 8!

Posted by: Amy at July 21, 2012 10:00 AM

I never realized my young adult children owed me so much time and patience and not rushing. Thank you, Stephanie, for this line of reasoning.

Posted by: Gwen at July 21, 2012 10:33 AM

Love the post, love the scarf more! Rock those needles, Sam!

Posted by: Suzanne at July 21, 2012 11:45 AM

As the mother of a once-teenage daughter (now 42!!), I had to take a moment and laugh/cry at the perfect explaination of the interaction between you too, and the words in your head you were able to filter out before they popped out of your mouth! Amazing job Sam - love the colors! Great job Steph - one day the words she is ignoring from you will come out of her mouth to her kids and you can cheer quite loudly!!!!

Posted by: Kathy at July 21, 2012 11:48 AM

Way to go Sam!!!! The edges on your scarf are fantastic. How did you do that? I know teens who will pant at that scarf.

Way to go Steph. Mother extraordinaire!

Posted by: Susan S at July 21, 2012 12:31 PM

Ruffle yarns are to knitting as the Nancy Drew novels are to literature

Posted by: janeallyn at July 21, 2012 12:40 PM

I call that style of parenting "don't scare the bunny". It takes years to perfect, and even then, you never quite know if you've got it down. Well-played and for the best reason!

Posted by: lulu at July 21, 2012 12:48 PM

I have waited 1 day and 12 hours to ask my son how his job interview went. Don't want him to think I am too interested in him moving from his current job to a "mom approved" job. I think tonight I will be able to ask without him being too suspicious.

Posted by: Vickie at July 21, 2012 1:00 PM

I'm dying to know what the yarn is and what pattern she used. I didn't think I could knit a ruffle scarf but she has inspired me!

Posted by: Lea at July 21, 2012 1:29 PM

My child is two. Two. And I just tested up. You and Joe do good work, Steph. I hope we're as up to the challenge as you clearly were... Love the scarf, too. But, the kid. She's fabulous.

Posted by: Cara at July 21, 2012 2:01 PM

Forget the Blue Steel look -- Sam looks so happy with the scarf! God bless her.

Posted by: Mary G. at July 21, 2012 2:26 PM

You are SO busted when Sam reads this blog! lol But it is a beautiful scarf, and you have every right to be proud of her for multiple reasons.

Posted by: judithornot at July 21, 2012 2:58 PM

Incredibly impressed by her mom's restraint. You are a wizard with teens!

The scarf is beautiful :) How is it that the pink bits are only on the ends? Is that part of the yarn? Clever....

Posted by: Rainy Daisy at July 21, 2012 3:34 PM

Congratulations and Sam, welcome to knittersworld.No matter if you never knit again, you gave comitted yurself to knitting for a good purpose. YH, congratulations on your two important bringing up children lessons, teaching them workethics and teaching them patience. I am ever so often surprised how little children (and older ones too) are getting their way by just playing the impatience trick. How will they react in 20 years time when their superior tells, them they are due for more money in a years time, not just now. Will they throw a tantrum or just walk out never to come back again. Some children do not know the meaning of no and just wait a little. Also, telling them why in short sentences instead of long grownup arguments/discussions works well, I foud out late too. Maybe people shpould have dogs or cats before having children, you tell animals what to do, you do not argument with them and you certainly make sure they know what not to do. And on your tweet about the reason for gu + ns, you are so right, maybe everyone who is for freedom to own g+ u+ns should suffer at least two shotwounds to think over again their decision. Maybe they think they are meant for defending, they are not, they are for hurting in bad ways.

Posted by: dutch margreet at July 21, 2012 4:01 PM

Love!

Posted by: Maureen at July 21, 2012 4:26 PM

As a mom nursing a two-year-old and working on baby lead weaning, I'm totally using that argument on her when she is a teenager and I drag her to a yarn store. She did, however, take a skein of buffalo/bamboo yarn and hold it to her cheek and shout "I love yarn!" the other day so there may be hope yet.

Posted by: Nina at July 21, 2012 4:50 PM

Great job, Sam! When I saw it I thought of seawead with little bits of treasures caught up in it. The one who gets it will be a lucky duck!

Posted by: Sara J at July 21, 2012 5:25 PM

Well played, Mom!

Posted by: Ann at July 21, 2012 6:21 PM

I so love how the pledge goal moves up as donations come in. Very sly, these Canadians. And generous. Ride on!

Posted by: Kathy at July 21, 2012 7:04 PM

That is so lovely Sam!! Knitting scarves is something I love to do and do alot - since I don't know how to knit socks and sweaters. I could knit scarves from here until Sunday, and still never run out of patterns! Knitting with novelty yarn like this one you used drives me up a wall... But yours is sooo pretty that I'm thinking I'm going to get some the next time I go shopping and try my hand at it again!

Linda in VA

Posted by: Linda at July 21, 2012 7:25 PM

Here is the yarn (I think) in Volcano colorway...

Posted by: B. Rickman at July 21, 2012 8:10 PM

Best. Post. Ever! A lovely and touching story, well told!

Posted by: Rose at July 21, 2012 8:42 PM

I don't like most novelty yarn, but I really like that ruffle yarn.When I was working at a booth at Stitches this winter, the volunteers took turns knitting scarves out of the stuff, and it sold like hotcakes.

Posted by: Lisa at July 21, 2012 9:17 PM

Gorgeous. Gorgeous sentiment, gorgeous shawl, gorgeous girl. Good job, Sam and Stephanie!

Posted by: Ann Hunt at July 21, 2012 10:16 PM

..can also be found at WEBS. They have good color representations too...

bjr

Posted by: B. Rickman at July 21, 2012 10:35 PM

You are right. Poverty does inspire a work ethic. My kids are both Go-getters and have worked hard to get where they are today. I am really proud of them. That yarn is really tricky. I helped a friend figure out the directions, and it took us a while. Of course, we are old......

Posted by: Ellen at July 21, 2012 10:58 PM

Congratulations to Sam for coming up with a great fundraising idea, implementing it, persevering and completing it, and then convincing someone (her Mum) to help publicize it to maximum potential audience! Would love to hear how much Sam raises though her awesome project!

Posted by: Mary at July 21, 2012 11:11 PM

As the mum of two daughters...I say "Yay, Sam!!!"
& "Awesome job, Steph!"

Posted by: Teri at July 21, 2012 11:16 PM

Ive knitted that net yarn, congratulations on finishing something so amazing. Mine looked like a dogs breakfast. Great work

Posted by: Gemma at July 22, 2012 5:32 AM

Sam, the scarf is awesome. The heart and spirit behind the scarf is even greater. Safe travels on the ride.

Posted by: Jo-Anne at July 22, 2012 9:02 AM

Terrific yarn, terrific scarf, and outstanding Blue Steel! My only correction: Ms. Pearl McPhee, Sam IS amazing.

Posted by: Meg at July 22, 2012 9:46 AM

That's not Blue Steel, that's Magnum!

Posted by: Cara at July 22, 2012 10:36 AM

Love the scarf Sam! As a mother of a daughter who knows how to knit but " why should I knit Mom, you make me everything I want and you love knitting". Im hoping one day my daughter will love knitting as much as I love knitting.

Posted by: Joanne Snyder at July 22, 2012 12:11 PM

Wow. When I read "novelty yarn" I was expecting something hideous, I'll be honest. That stuff ... is amazing. Please tell us what it is!

Posted by: Emily at July 22, 2012 12:45 PM

Sam, you're amazing. The scarf is fabulous and what a great idea for fundraising. I'm sending your mum an email now with a bid. I hope I win.

Posted by: Lisa K at July 22, 2012 1:39 PM

if there were a "Like" button on this post, I would click it twice! :) I've already previously pledged a small amount on Sam's page, so I will bow out of the opportunity to win the "Karma Charmer" scarf. But I am sure whoever wins it will be showered with goodness and light in their life..

Posted by: christine m. east of toronto at July 22, 2012 5:09 PM

How much to get Sam to mail me a ball of that yarn?? That is beautiful!!!

Posted by: Anna at July 22, 2012 6:46 PM

someone may have asked, but what is ruffle yarn? The scarf is amazing - wtg Sam!

Posted by: Mary at July 22, 2012 7:29 PM

I don't comment often, but what a fabulous post. Everything from the first word to the last is a joy to read! Go SAM!

Posted by: DeeDee at July 22, 2012 7:51 PM

Maybe you could talk to a knitting store or two that could offer the yarn and pattern in a kit and donate some of the proceeds? Bonus points of you can get one in Canada and one in the US to help with keeping shipping costs reasonable.

Posted by: Kim at July 22, 2012 8:44 PM

Sam is absolutely beautiful, and her scarf is amazing!!! I'm a total knitter, so I can't bid on it, but I would if it was open to knitters (I actually wouldn't knit something like that myself, but it would look so coolio when I go to the beach...)

Anyway, Sam, you are the most awesome teenager I've ever "met" and Stephanie, you are the most awesome parent. I hope tons of money is bid on this scarf, and if not, let me know and I'll make up the difference. Too much awesomeness to not raise a ton of cash for AIDS. Rock on!

Posted by: Ronda in Wisconsin at July 22, 2012 10:12 PM

It's so great when you see the 18 or so of years you've spent teaching your kids the importance of greater community come together with their own moral compass. I am as proud of Sam as if she were my own!

Amazing scarf and I love her 'blue steele' pose. I think Zoolander is a incredibly funny movie.

Posted by: Pamela at July 22, 2012 11:24 PM

Good for Sam! Way to grow up!

Posted by: Sara in WI at July 23, 2012 12:27 AM

That new yarn is this decade's version of the fun fur yarn that got so many knitting and crocheting in the 90's and 2000's. No one can resist it!

Great job (although now you've given away your secrets!).

You guys are going to rock this ride.

Posted by: Dianna at July 23, 2012 12:41 AM

lovely scarf, but i've also noticed that your photos have bee particularly lovely as of late. did you get a new camera? or a new lens?

Posted by: steven a. at July 23, 2012 4:08 AM

Sam I knew you had it in you kiddo
Well done
Once you set your mind to something there is NO stopping you - the scarf is amazing - beautiful work.... I will be seeing you in less than a week and can hardly wait .....I am so proud of you and of your entire team.. I will be placing a bid today
hugs
Aunt Yvonne

Posted by: yvonne hyolland at July 23, 2012 8:14 AM

Lovely lovely lovely scarf & yarn - I would normally say I'm not a fan of the novelties but I really love that scarf. Pattern info? Yarn info?

Posted by: Lisa at July 23, 2012 9:12 AM

Oh I love that ruffle yarn. It is like crack for a knitter. In about 2 hours you have something beautiful and fun. I do knit socks, shawls, and long projects but there is something nice when you can start a project, sit through a movie and have a finished product by the end.

Good job Meg! And great choice in ruffle yarn.

Posted by: Lissa at July 23, 2012 9:18 AM

One thought --> Sam = bright future and big heart ;o)

Posted by: Sophie at July 23, 2012 9:21 AM

I'm not so keen on that ruffle yarn scarf pattern, perhaps due to the fact that apparently every other knitter in Ottawa has made perhaps 10 of them and given them away to all & sundry. However, I admire the spirit and the directed action and will therefore head over to Sam's page and make a donation.

Posted by: Vicky in Ottawa at July 23, 2012 9:26 AM

I need to try this disinterested approach with my nieces. Act like I don't care. Shrug my shoulders, pretend knitting is kind of a drag. Sigh, when asked how many stitches to cast on. BUT if any of them asks for help (dropped stitches, ripping back) do it in a heartbeat....cuz you don't want family to abandon a project. It COULD potentially kill enthusiasm. Finish the project for nieces if you must (and I will for three pajama pants started by three nieces. 'Cuz I'm a cool, loving aunt).

Posted by: MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv2.5 at July 23, 2012 11:37 AM

Yay Sam!!! Yay Mom!!!

Posted by: marcia at July 23, 2012 12:10 PM

way to go, Sam!

Posted by: vicki at July 23, 2012 9:19 PM

Hmmmm....another thing for me to hold over my kids' heads! I love how you think, Stephanie!

Posted by: Colleen at July 24, 2012 9:47 PM

gorgeous scarf. I am frightened of novelty stuff and my two daughters, 12 and 16 only knit intermittently. I keep bring them to the shop in hopes. Maybe novelty yarn is where it will start. I hope it brought you lots of moolah.

Posted by: Peggy at July 31, 2012 3:25 PM