October 25, 2013

Randomly, on a Friday

1. I am writing this post from 35 000 ft above the earth, as I fly from Toronto to Vancouver for Knit City.

2. I have taken hundreds and hundreds of planes and I still think it is amazing that I can cross such a huge chunk of Canada in only 5 hours.

3. Some planes even have wi-fi on them, but this one doesn't. I'll post this when I get to the hotel.

4. While I was at Rhinebeck, I fell down hard in the Fiber Optic booth. Worst of all, on my way to the ground I accidentally swiped my credit card, and a whole bunch of her gradient series things ended up in my bag. I got roving, and I got 3 (three) of her paintbox gradients that are already yarn.  If I had a bigger yarn budget, I would have got more because holy cow were they captivating.

5. I love this one:

Tangerine to Turquoise, in her sock yarn.

6. I think part of the problem with the gradient kits was that I knew about this pattern. Spectral.

7. I'm having a really, really fun time knitting this, and Kimber (she's the Fiber Optic lady) told me about this way of knotting your knitting so there aren't any ends to weave in,  even though there's 15 mini skeins in a colourway. Check out this video.

8. She said it worked great, and I thought she was full of it, but I watched the video, I tried it, and she wasn't lying.  It's amazing. You can't see the knot at all - you can feel it, so I'd never do this for socks, and I think that it might show up if you were doing smooth stockinette, but in anything with texture? AMAZING.

9. No. I don't think it's going to come apart - I really, really tested it, and why would I do it if I thought it was going to come apart?

10. I sort of had a little bit of a spasm and knit Myrie a little hat.  I had the leftovers from Windward still kicking around, and that yarn is so soft and she's a baby born on the eve of the Canadian winter. She's going to need hats.

Pattern: Bouncing Baby Set, from Homespun, Handknit. Yarn: Madeleinetosh Tosh Merino Light.

11. So I made bootees too.

Cutest Bootees - no pom poms.

12. Did you hear about this? Meg Swanson over at Schoolhouse Press has co-ordinated an auction of Barbara Walkers knitting. Actual things actually knit by Barbara Walker. She's selling them off, and you can own a piece of history if you want. There's going to be three groupings, but flip through and have a look.  There's some amazing things there.

13. I am in Vancouver now and holy cow with the fog. One of the craziest landings of my life.

14. Also, I lied.  I said I would post this from the the hotel, and I'm posting it from the cab, because we live in the future, and everything is a miracle.

Posted by Stephanie at October 25, 2013 7:14 PM
Comments

I LOVE Kimber the Fiber Optics Lady! Saw those gradient kits at Wool Gathering in Yellow Springs, Ohio, in September. Absolutely gorgeous, as is all her yarn. Have to check out that knot video, too, thanks for the link.

Posted by: jules at October 25, 2013 7:19 PM

Posting from a cab! How cool is that!! Have fun in the fog. We had hail here this morning.

Posted by: Jo-Anne at October 25, 2013 7:20 PM

Ooh that yarn. Makes me happy with the anew Hampshire winter on its way!

Posted by: Carol at October 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Ooh that yarn. Makes me happy with the anew Hampshire winter on its way!

Posted by: Carol at October 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Begrudgingly, after about 5 sessions and no weight loss,
she did began exercising again. Maybe you were at your goal weight before
or maybe you weren't, but you've more than likely
grown a lovely pair of love handles. Apples are a low-sodium food that helps prevent excess water weight or retention.

Posted by: revolution ab cuts reviews at October 25, 2013 7:36 PM

Everything IS a miracle...especially that new baby :)

Posted by: Miriam Mc. at October 25, 2013 7:37 PM

Oooo, I love colour. Welcome to our fair and foggy city, gotta love temperature inversion. When you're up on a mountain like I am, you can see the city socked (pun intended) in fog.

Posted by: Veronica at October 25, 2013 7:56 PM

The turquoise to violet gradient followed me home from Yellow Springs last month and became Song of the Seas. Have to admit I used Russian joins instead weavers knots. Worked it so I used all the yarn with violet in edging the largest waves and turquoise at the shallow end.

Posted by: Lori at October 25, 2013 8:12 PM

I'm down in Seattle and this was day 8 of fog...it's being referred to as "Fogtober". It's been crazy.

Posted by: Lora at October 25, 2013 8:29 PM

The colors are sooo happy. Makes one smile just looking at them. :) I am guessing you are referring to the "magic knot join", as your link does not work for me. It's a great join for using up small bits of yarn in making dish cloths, as long as you get the double knot right. And I would know that how? :)

Posted by: Barbara at October 25, 2013 8:46 PM

Hav a wonderful trip. And lucky Mylie! My sister lives just south of that border. I wish we could come play.

Posted by: alisonh at October 25, 2013 8:47 PM

Posted by: Barbara at October 25, 2013 8:49 PM

I wonder how we can get yarn companies to use that knotted join in their broken skeins and to indicate on the ball band that they've used it.

Posted by: Robin Allen at October 25, 2013 8:55 PM

No fair! You got us all excited about the gradients when they're (mostly) sold out.

Posted by: Lissa at October 25, 2013 9:05 PM

Cool join! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: PleaseLouise at October 25, 2013 9:16 PM

That double-knot thing really works! I stumbled across that exact clip while trolling thru YouTube one day and have been using it since!!

Posted by: Cathy Caiazzo at October 25, 2013 9:16 PM

I *heart* paintbox gradients. And the double knot trick is genius!

Posted by: Jules at October 25, 2013 9:42 PM

Love the tangerine to turquoise gradient going on. That shawl will be stunning.

Posted by: wendy at October 25, 2013 9:48 PM

I learned that knot in Girl Scouts. It's what was called a 'Fisherman's Knot'. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: holly at October 25, 2013 9:51 PM

I actually spotted you at the Fiber Optics booth!

Posted by: Mary Ellen at October 25, 2013 9:55 PM

If I could have gotten into her booth I would have bought one of everything. It was all gorgeous.

Posted by: Ellen at October 25, 2013 10:22 PM

I, too, managed to get a set of turquoise gradients from FO at the Wool Gathering. (yeah to all of us who were there! we should have a Harlot Meetup next year!) I love the yarns! I knit a hat for my son our of Vitamin C and Black last year. It's his hunting hat.

I haven't started my gradient knitting. It will be my reward for after the holidays. Plus, I bought one for a knitting friend. What is better than getting a great color to knit for Christmas and getting to start on it that day!

Posted by: Pame at October 25, 2013 10:43 PM

I fell down like that at Stitches South this year...a couple of times... :)

One day I will make it to Rhinebeck...one day...

Posted by: Amanda at October 25, 2013 10:53 PM

Because I maintain you probably have a moving van full of yarn, fleece, books, patterns, sheep, etc., heading to your home, I think you hit the Fiber Optics booth on your way to catch your flight home. Lovely colors, however. I'm sure the shawl will be a stunner.

Of course Myrie will need hats and booties (and mittens, and scarves, and sweaters) to see her through a Canadian winter! Remember, babies respond best to bright colors. Mom and Dad may like the sage, but Myrie will probably love something in royal blue, or fire-engine red, or marigold, or emerald, etc., to take the dreariness of those gray winter days. Maybe her Uncle Joseph will knit her a Technicolor Dreamcoat! (Joe, shouldn't that earn you at least an extra pair of X-mas kilt hose???)

Posted by: Anonymous, too at October 25, 2013 10:58 PM

I'm in Vancouver this week! If I'd known about Knit City, I would have tried to stay till Sunday, but I'm leaving Saturday (tomorrow) morning!

Posted by: Irene at October 25, 2013 11:02 PM

I use the "magic knot" all the time for all sorts of things...love it! And, I learned it from this same video.

Posted by: Bev C. at October 25, 2013 11:34 PM

I think this was the very first Rhinebeck where I did not see you at all! I was at Fiber Optics after you had been there, drooling over the gradient kits. And as I was talking to Kimber about them, she began to tell me how you took quite a bit of time trying to find the knots in her finished shawl.

Its got to be a good technique!

Posted by: Nancy at October 25, 2013 11:45 PM

By the way, are you still going to have your lace retreat in Port Ludlow? Where can I get some information?

Posted by: Eunice at October 26, 2013 12:26 AM

mmm, i think that rainbow is perfect for foggy weather. Thanks for the knot technique too.

Posted by: cecelia at October 26, 2013 12:35 AM

Holy cow....searching gradient yarn now. I live in Seattle and we've been swimming in this pea soup for over a week now, but I kind of love it. It's perfect knitting weather.

Posted by: Beth PR at October 26, 2013 12:45 AM

That's what I keep telling my kids..we're living in the future...but they just don't get how miraculous all of this is...I mean computers in every home...hell, this is better than the Jetsons!

Posted by: Laura at October 26, 2013 1:30 AM

ts of parchment paper all over the the countertop and go above and beyond them providing some one an all in one couple to do with thin, white-fleshed fish fillets, half a multi function 16-ounce bag blacklisted stable vegetables don't you think need for additional details on thaw),a multi function t

Posted by: purses at October 26, 2013 2:02 AM

The Internet offers a lot of information and is the
best place to begin. This operation can be performed at any stage of
development. ' Toric Intraocular Lens: Toric IOLs can correct astigmatism if it
is present.

Posted by: small incision cataract surgery video at October 26, 2013 3:00 AM

There are some gradients available by Unique Sheep. http://www.theuniquesheep.com/retailers/

Posted by: A at October 26, 2013 3:54 AM

Holy Cow! I have to thank you for posting the link to the magic knot join. That is simply amazing. I hate weaving in ends and that is the coolest thing ever! I can't wait to try it! Also that's great yarn!

Posted by: Dyepotgirl at October 26, 2013 5:17 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who fell victim to the paintboxes at Fiber Optics! So so lovely. Thanks for the additional pattern idea!

Posted by: Sara at October 26, 2013 6:42 AM

Clearly that large white baby blanket has affected you, and you feel the need for colour!!

Can't say I blame you. That is rather wonderful yarn. I know a little girl who would love a dress like that.

Posted by: Emily at October 26, 2013 7:55 AM

I'm the odd woman who was so over-whelmed by the coolness of seeing you in the flesh that I came up to you with a squeal as you were paying at the Fiber Optics booth, laid my hand on your arm and pronounced (like an explorer claiming a new land in the name of her Queen), "Now I can say I've touched you!" I've laughed at myself in absolute mortification since. I'm calling it Celebrity Tag.

Posted by: Lynda Sorenson at October 26, 2013 7:59 AM

OMG that video. I'm *doing* that. I am so excited!

Posted by: Kate at October 26, 2013 8:57 AM

Thank you for the video link. I'm binding off a huge striped shawl right now and not looking forward to weaving in all the ends. Next time I'll have this trick up my sleeve! ( Dusk into twilight by Romi Hill for the curious.)

Posted by: Karen at October 26, 2013 9:03 AM

Having imbibed "never knit a knot!" at my mother's knee as well as via the great Elizabeth Zimmermann, it's going to take me a while to get over that indoctrination. I will probably still do my usual join for plain pieces, but no longer will I dread stripes of anything textured, as that knot is a marvel. I am going to try it, even though I'm not a big fan of knots in general, because they are rarely successful in my hands. Still, nothing ventured...

Those colours are wonderful and I would have so much fun knitting some brights right now. As a knitter of winter socks, mostly for men, my world becomes grey and black and navy blue at this time of year when I'm pining for colour. I do however have an ace up my sleeve for the days when I just can't knit one more row of grey - a shawl-collared vest (commissioned) in a wonderful hot paprika-coloured yarn.

And I'm going to Rhinebeck next year come hell or high water.

Posted by: StrongCat at October 26, 2013 9:48 AM

Looking forward to your sock class and lecture today. And maybe you might want to forget your credit card if you go to the marketplace.

Posted by: Sarah at October 26, 2013 10:05 AM

Beautiful, gorgeous yarn~I need to knit some socks with that yarn. I've been using that magic knot for a while now ~ love it! It works like a charm, and I've never had anything come apart yet!

Posted by: Brenda at October 26, 2013 10:47 AM

Love the colors in that yarn! I've been using the magic knot for a while now ~ it really is amazing and I've never had anything come apart yet! I know you're not supposed to knit with a knot in your work, but it seems to me, that if it doesn't show and no one can even find it, what does it matter? Makes it so much easier when you don't have to weave in all those ends! Have a great time in Vancouver ~wish I could be there!

Posted by: Brenda at October 26, 2013 10:50 AM

Oops! Sorry for the duplicate post; the first one didn't seem to work, so I reposted it. Now I see that it's there after all.

Posted by: Brenda at October 26, 2013 10:52 AM

Kimber is amazing. She is from my home state of Ohio and is opening a bricks and mortar store soon. I fell hard at Wool Gathering for the pencil roving. A friend buys her gradients to spin a lot and they are astonishingly gorgeous. I hope Kimber is ready for a YH bump.

Posted by: Jane at October 26, 2013 11:25 AM

Posted by: Jane at October 26, 2013 11:27 AM

I'd like to thank you for the efforts you've put in penning this website.

Iam hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you laater on as well.
In fact, your creative writing abilities
has inspired me to get my own, personal site now ;)

Posted by: Eating For Energy at October 26, 2013 12:05 PM

I used that knot tying method on my Gemini. It worked beautifully and it has been washed and worn dozens of times, with no problems at all. I prefer using this method when knitting with cotton

Posted by: Amanda at October 26, 2013 1:40 PM

Another hand raised for having used the magic knot join. I also learned it from that site. It works perfectly and I've used it often.

Posted by: Jackie at October 26, 2013 1:51 PM

Yeah, that's what you get when you put a great pattern with a great yarn. Crack, potato chips...call it what you will...

Posted by: marcy at October 26, 2013 2:29 PM

I've used this knot quite a bit whenever I knit with cotton, and it works great! I've even used it on a sweater knit in worsted weight stockinette and was able to hide the knot.

Posted by: JodyH at October 26, 2013 3:35 PM

I have been a fan of the Magic Knot method since last summer and have recommended it to friends. However, I have recently had two projects where the knot has come out after soaking and blocking. I always test the knot with a strong tug before going ahead and knitting it in, often I refer to the video to make sure I am making the knot properly. Don't know why this happens, but you are stuck with a VERY short bit of yarn to try to fix the problem. I love using the knot, especially in lace shawls, but will forgo it in the future.

Posted by: Cindy Sublett at October 26, 2013 4:53 PM

Gorgeous yarn! All sold out. :(

Hey Steph, did you know you and some friends are in a YouTube video? The video is called 'Rhinebeck Style GaleZucker' (video she took of 2010 and 2012 Rhinebeck) and you and your friends are at mark 2:46. It caught my eye because I recognized your sweater, so I backtracked and yep sure enough it was you. :)

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Janelle at October 26, 2013 5:05 PM

I'm so sorry we missed the info re you being in Vancouver. Darn. However, in the lovely sunshine my friend and I have just come home from the Cowichan Valley Fleece & Fibre Festival on Vancouver Island. Wonderful to see all the young knitters and spinners as well as sheep, angora, alpaca farmers there. Lots of enthusiasm! Managed to buy a few things!

Posted by: annieb at October 26, 2013 5:40 PM

I need those paintbox gradients!

Posted by: EmJay at October 26, 2013 6:25 PM

Add me to the Kimber and FiberOptic's fan club. I hearts her and her yarn. Off to go look up the ends video.....Have fun on the other side of the continent!

Posted by: Stephanie at October 26, 2013 6:28 PM

I guess I am the princess and the pea and I knots bother me in a shawl or a hat as well as socks.
I braid in the ends, and it's almost invisible even in lace, never comes undone and no ends to weave in.

Posted by: Robyn Josephs at October 26, 2013 8:56 PM

The magic knot works on stockinette, too. You can't see it there either. I love that knot. I use it all the time.

Posted by: Sara at October 26, 2013 11:17 PM

Thank you for posting. I love reading your blog. I know it is a lot of work and it is so appreciated. I hope you are feeling lots better!

Posted by: Marsha Gibbons at October 26, 2013 11:18 PM

Love, love, love

Posted by: Andi at October 26, 2013 11:43 PM

I love Jane Richmond's invisible knot! I used it on her Gemini pattern in a 100% linen stockinette top, and once it's knitted in...you really can't see it!!

Another awesome thing? Jane Richmond also lives on Canada's West Coast. ;)

Enjoy Vancouver and safe travels home!

What are you doing for Christmas knitting, now that it is the eve of winter and less than two months away??

Katie =^..^•

Posted by: Katie at October 27, 2013 2:46 AM

I learned about the magic knot from Paula of the Knitting Pipeline podcast. My mother taught me to knit and emphasized that you NEVER knot in the middle of your knitting, but I've already found this to be so useful - especially when knitting with unusual yarn (the "spit splice" is my favorite transition, but it doesn't work on some yarns). Definitely a good addition to my toolbox of knitting strategies.

Posted by: Cate at October 27, 2013 9:38 AM

I've been using that knot lately too. I'm unsure about its long-term success in a very round and bouncy sport-weight merino super wash...I'm keeping my eye on it. (It's in a hat.) Otherwise I'm loving it.

Posted by: Sarah at October 27, 2013 9:43 AM

For people who have used the knot method, I am wondering if there is a way to make sure it is at the end of a row? For example, if I am knitting a striped scarf and need the color change to be at the end of a row not in the middle.

Posted by: Carly at October 27, 2013 10:25 AM

I am not normally a cowl person, but I love Spectral. I think it was the picture of it lightly twisted together that got me.

Robyn Josephs, you braid in the ends? I am intrigued; how does that work?

Posted by: Sunshine at October 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Love the gradiants and Spectral. But what's with all the spam. Seems like the blog is attacting more of it these days.

Posted by: Risa at October 27, 2013 5:12 PM

Beautiful yarn. Looking forward to viewing the video on how to make that knot....

Sorry you fell, but it doesn't look like you're worse off for the experience. :)

Posted by: Tenna at October 28, 2013 7:34 AM

I jumped on the paintbox gradient yarn sets at Rhinebeck too. It was hard to choose just one. I just finished Terraform with hot pink to sunshine. Wish I'd thought of Spectra. Thanks for the enabling. Now I have to find more.

Posted by: Betsy at October 28, 2013 9:41 AM

I love Kimber's gradient rovings, I have several of them in stash. I think she's a genius with color. I can't wait to see how your Spectra turns out. :)

Posted by: Deborah C. at October 28, 2013 12:26 PM

Ok, I try to be nice in comments, but today was a bit much. First you tempt me with the gradient yarn and then you show the most adorable baby hat from a book that is out of print. I'll just pout and knit for the rest of my lunch hour. (And use this as justification to keep buying knitting patterns and books - someday it may be out of print but I'll have my own copy!)

Posted by: ToniC at October 28, 2013 12:47 PM

Note to ToniC just above -- don't ever let your knitting books get out of your hands. I kept checking Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting without Tears from the library, let a long dry spell go by, and the library DISCARDED the book. I was fortunate enough to get a used copy from Powells.

Posted by: Margaret at October 28, 2013 2:01 PM

Posted by: Margaret at October 28, 2013 2:05 PM

I just got home from SOAR last night so I'm still catching up with everything, but we are taking stock of inventory and will be restocking paintbox gradients this coming Saturday at 1pm eastern time zone. Hope this helps! -Kimber

Posted by: Kimber - Fiber Optic at October 28, 2013 2:53 PM

Posted by: Kimber - Fiber Optic at October 28, 2013 2:54 PM

Dear Stephanie, I had fallen away from reading YH for awhile, for no reason really. Now I'm back! & these posts have reminded me how much I love your writing (and it's fair to say: you too). Thanks!

Posted by: Susan at October 28, 2013 6:49 PM

ToniC- fear not- Homespun, Handknit is still available. Amazon has some. And ABEBooks is a great place to search for something out of print- often has better prices than Amazon.

Gradient fans- there are still 11 paintboxes in one colorway left...Hot Pink Sunshine...someone hurry up and go buy them before I succumb. Gorgeous! (I think it's fair to say that some of the utter sold-out-ness is likely due to the Harlot effect.)

And now I need to go check out the knot video!

Posted by: RobinH at October 29, 2013 10:05 AM

I've been away from the blog for a while, and maybe this is something that's been discussed already - but I am SO sad to see the spammers posting "comments" on your blog. Why does everything beautiful have to become polluted?

Posted by: Bobbie at October 30, 2013 8:14 AM

I can't believe there was a yarn-related something out there that you didn't already know! This world is indeed an amazing place.

Posted by: Kristen at October 30, 2013 11:45 AM